funnybone

Copying from Web into Word

Howdy! A lot of time I'll see a good article online that I want to print or save without all the banners and stuff. If there's no "print this article" button, I usually do a CNTRL-A or select the text and copy|paste it into Word 97, then edit and print or save it. Once I have it in Word, how can I remove the weird formatting that sometimes comes with it, in one fell swoop without having to go down line by line and edit the document? I don't mind converting it to plain text. THANKS!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying from Web into Word

The real solution is to upgrade to Word2000. This's one real enhancement I can see they have made. That when you copy & paste from the Explorer browser, Word very cleverly anchors all the graphics & textual objects in place.

If this's a feature you'll use often, I would pay for the upgrade!

m.q.

AndrewG

If you just want to remove all the spaces that will appear at the beginning of each line (and sometimes at the end) then select all the text, center justify the text and then left justify the text again. All those nasty spaces will have disappeared.
    As for getting rid of all the paragraph breaks, I wrote myself a small macro that removes all single paragraph marks and only keeps a paragraph if there was two consecutive paragraph marks. I then put this on my formatting toolbar as a button. If you want the macro, let me know.

Cheers

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

When you paste it, instead of the normal paste, have you tried the "edit, Paste special" then selecting on "Unformatted text?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I urge you to try Geoff's suggestion. It's terrific. Been using it ever since I came across it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What about Print Selection

I agree that IE is [img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img] ordinary for printing web pages however you can print a region of selected text easily to remove the frames and banners from the output. Just select the range that you want in the output and when you print from IE, tick the Print Selection Option.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia