New Lounger
    Thanks

A knotty combo box problem (XP)

I'm in the process of developing a data base, and I'm envisioning a form with two combo boxes. I want the choices in the second combo box to be dependent on the entry in the first combo box. The first combo box has about 20 options; the second has about 200.

The first combo box is based on a table with two fields, a text description and a number (byte). The second box is based on a table with three fields: a text description, a number (byte), and a field which contains the number of the value from the first table under which I want the value from the second table to be allowed in the combo box.

I have some experience with VBA, but not a lot. And I have no idea how to approach making the options displayed in the second combo box dependent on what is selected in the first combo box.

Any help you can give me to get me off the starting blocks on this issue is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A knotty combo box problem (XP)

See for example How to synchronize two combo boxes on a form in Access 2002 or in Access 2003.

If you search this forum for synchronize combo or cascading combo, you'll find many threads dealing with this problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A knotty combo box problem (XP)

Thank you, Hans! For some reason, I couldn't think of "cascading" when I was searching, and "synchronize" never occurred to me. Obviously, I'm not at my sharpest today.