Connor

modify formatting of Word style for Acrobat bookma (2003)

Not sure if this should go here or in the Adobe forums.

We use Word 2003 to create documents and then use Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard to create .pdf files for issue to clients. The Word template we use specifies that Heading 1 text is displayed in full caps. When we make a .pdf file, the bookmark for a Heading 1 is also in full caps. Is there a good way to leave the Heading 1 in full caps for display in the text but convert it to title case in the bookmarks?

Thanks - Connor

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: modify formatting of Word style for Acrobat bookma (2003)

I wonder if you could find a font that includes UPPER case characters in the slots normally used for lower case ones, you could then use this font for your Heading 1.

StuartR

Connor

Stuart, thanks for your idea-sounds like an interesting approach-but we have to use Arial for the heading to match the corporate look. As a not too ideal solution, I was thinking along the lines of inserting a hidden paragraph just below each Heading 1, tagging these hidden headings with a new style that uses title case, and then generating my .pdf bookmarks from the hidden styles. I have not worked with scripting much but this doesn't sound too complex - in theory, anyway. Questions -
    1. Does anyone know of some reason why I should not try this approach?
    2. Right now, I'm the only one really using this template but that will change. Any suggestions on things I should do to make this heading duplication easy for the users? Maybe put the macro under a toolbar button and run it once the file is finished to insert the duplicate headings all at once right before the .pdf is made?

Thanks,
    Connor

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Biggest problem with this approach is that Case is not a style attribute. You can use Format > Change Case to set a paragraph to Title Case, or UPPERCASE, but I don't think you can associate this case setting with a style.

I guess another option might be to post-process the PDF file to modify the bookmarks. It is easy enough to edit bookmarks with Acrobat, but I don't know if this can be automated with a script of some sort.

Or maybe you could use a Font editor like this one to make a copy of Arial with only UPPERCASE letters.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: modify formatting of Word style for Acrobat bo

Does the template tell you to type in All Caps or does it apply this by the style definition? I would have hoped that you could specify the style as All caps and the underlying text is still actually upper and lower so it should translate that into the bookmarks.

What result do you get if you specify the Heading style to be small caps?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Connor

Re: modify formatting of Word style for Acrobat bo

The full caps are part of the style. If I type "My Chapter Title" as a Heading 1 and the Heading 1 style is set for all caps (through Format | Font), my .pdf bookmark is "MY CHAPTER TITLE". Good thought on the small caps, Andrew. If a Heading 1 applies small caps in Word, the .pdf does not change from the way I type in the text. So we can use small caps instead of full caps and avoid the whole problem.

Thanks, Andrew and Stuart!