Star Lounger
    Thanks

Home Network Set Up

Help,
    Confused !!!!. I have a wired Network Desktop and Laptop Wired through a Switch which works fine on Isdn and Usb Modem,
    except i have Desktop set up as a server to connect to the Internet from my laptop( with Desktop on) that my set up at moment.
    I now can get ADSL Broadband and received with the package A Modem/Router which as 2 connections 1 Usb and 1 Ethernet
    is it possible to create a net work which includes my existing switch and wiring and to allow both computers to talk to each other and connect to the net independently, if how do I do it or is there any sites that might assist me. Both Machines XP Pro

Thanks
    Les

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Home Network Set Up

Isn't it amazing how "technology" progresses in six months? (your post back in April) Glad to hear you can NOW get ADSL! Didn't the modem/router include some instructions for setting it up? The purpose of such a device IS to allow more than one computer to access the 'Net independently of one another, so it seems you're on the right track. "Usually," the modem (or combo box) will have a WAN socket that uses ethernet cable to connect to your ADSL wall outlet. Then it should have one (or more) LAN sockets into which to plug the computer(s). I've never done this using USB so maybe someone else will chime in. You might give us the brand name and model of the modem/router so someone could scout it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Home Network Set Up

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide or 1-Click TagPanel. Note: I've modified your link to lead to YOUR model.

ADSL installed today now working at 512. Up until recently British Telecom could provide ADSL with a line length in excess of 5.5km from an enabled Exchange, now it seems I can get 1MB Strange how things change. I got this modem /router with a Broadband Package its a BT Voyager 205 ( Seems same specs as Softouch 530) The things you mentioned re WAN and Ethernet ports are on the machine, plus a USB port. Think I have got it sorted Thanks to very helpful Guy at BT. after explaining my previous set up he asked if my switch had a uplink port (didnt know what this was but checked switches specs and found it automatically configured 1 port to an uplift port)if so connect from modem/ router to uplink port with ethernet cable ,connect computers to switch with ethernet, ran the supplied software
    set rhe connections to ISP, Then used network Wizard in Xp this computer connects to internet through another computer or residential gate way. Now it works so far. BT dont really send much info re Modems you have to ring up and spend money on call charges If you want to have a look at this Product http://www.voyager.bt.com/ethernet_index.htm (Not a lot in repect Specifactions However it Free with their Packages except the most basic.

Hope this of help

Thanks for you reply will keep you informed of progress