New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot delete emails (OE 6)

I am unable to delete messages from any of my folders in Outlook Express using the delete key, or the delete shorcut (X) in the toolbar. I can permanently delete using shift delete.

Also, I was getting an error message with some emails - Unknown error has occurred, listed error number as 0x800C0133. I have been unable to find this error number anywhere in MSN.

Thanks

Re: Cannot delete emails (OE 6)

In Outlook 97-98-2000, there is a maximum number of items that can be stored in the Deleted Items folder of about 16,800 or so, after which you get an unknown error. If your Deleted Items folder is not full of stuff, or emptying it doesn't solve the problem, that probably is not it.

It is conceivable that your Deleted Items.dbx file is messed up in some serious way. I believe you might be able to rename it and have OE create a new blank one, but I really don't know that to be the case. Please do not rely on my guess!! Hopefully someone will be along who has more suggestions. In the meantime, you can look at your OE data files in this folder, and back them up in case something really bad is about to happen:

Cocuments and SettingsYourUserNameLocal SettingsApplication DataIdentities{Long-GUID}MicrosoftOutlook Express

New Lounger
    Thanks

OK - I finally found the dbx files. It says I have way over the maximum deleted items. Is there an easy way to delete the files that are there? I have found a lot of boards that give hints on recovering the deleted files, but I have already saved the important ones to my hard drive, so I think all I need to do is either delete the contents of the .dbx folder, or create a new empty one. Can you tell me how to go about that? When I de fragged the computer a couple of weeks ago I got a message that my Deleted Items in Outlook Express could not be un fragmented, so apparently this is the problem.

Thanks

I only use Outlook Express in emergencies, so I have no personal experience to share. You might try emptying the folder from within Outlook Express.

Thanks

In OE, click on edit>scroll down and click " empty deleted items folder " ( of all things )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!