3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Project Explorer Ghosts (2000, SP-3)

When I close an Excel file, the file should also disappear from the VBE Project Explorer. I'm fairly sure that that's how my system used to function, but now they are never removed. If I reopen the same file, there are two identical entries in the Project Explorer. I can't find anything in the KB about it. Has anybody seen such behavior before? With one of the workbooks that I had open, the project is locked for viewing. I'm wondering if that's related somehow.
    TIA

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Project Explorer Ghosts (2000, SP-3)

There are two possibole reasons for a file to stay visible in the Project explorer.

1. The file is referenced by another file which is still open.
    2. The file in question contains a corruption.

Since you get 2 entries after opening the file, I strongly suspect # 2 is the case.

have a look on this page for some pointers:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/CorruptFiles.htm
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jan Karel,
    Thanks, but do you have a #3?! It seems to be at the application level: it's as if a system setting has been made to prevent files from being removed in Project Explorer. And it occurs for any and all files. For example, if I start Excel, create a new workbook, save the blank workbook and then close it, it will still be visible in Project Explorer. Very strange. A co-worker saw the same phenomenon the other day too, and he's on Excel 2003. My hypothesis is still that it's somehow related to password protecting the project on a workbook that I've been developing recently, since that's the only unusual/different technique in the last few weeks. But if it is, I can't imagine how!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Nope, I haven't seen this one before. Have you tried searching Newsgroups and the MS KB?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried searching the MS KB, but haven't found anything relevant. It's difficult to know what to search on, though.

Following up on your mention of References, that may well be part of the puzzle. In Tools | References I see multiple entries that read "UNSAVED: VBAProject". And a new entry is created every time I open and close a file. Maybe the problem is caused by a variation on your original reason #1(?) For some reason the VBE is not dropping the project because it has an entry in the list of references. The UNSAVED entries, by the way, do not have their boxes checked on the left.

Does that suggest any other line of attack? Many thanks for your help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I"m asking around, I'll get back if I find an answer.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jan Karel,
    I'll get back and confirm, but it's looking like the culprit is Google Desktop. You've probably heard of it(?). I downloaded and installed it about a week ago. It is a beta version, but it never occurred to me that it might be related to my VBE issue.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

GOOGLE DESKTOP

Thought I'd change the subject to give it a little more attention...
    Yes, the VBE project ghosts are definitely caused by Google Desktop. Which is a shame, because apart from that it's a great product. I told Google about it though, so I would hope it'll be fixed in the final version.
    Thanks again for your help. Maybe you could notify whoever you were "asking around" and let them know. A lot of people have downloaded Google Desktop, so there must be other people out there that are similarly affected. It's a problem with both XL2000 and XL2003 by the way.