New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 update query

Help!!! This will drive me to drink if I can't solve this problem.

I have a table with 22,000 records and want to update certain records with the word "Mark" in a blank column. Table 1 contains all the records, Table 2 has 1 set of criteria and table 3 has another set of criteria. Each table has a field called contact which contains a specific number that is common to all the tables. Table 1 is joined to table 2 by the contact field and table 1 is also joined to table 3 by the contact field. The query runs ok, but when it is finished, an error window pops up and says that MS Access can't update all the records in the update query. It then goes on to to give the following message, 349 records due to lock violations.

I am confused by that statement. Supposedly none of the records are locked.

Anyone have any suggestions where to find out what is happening?

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 update query

It is possible with your multiple tables and their relationships that you have created a recordset that is not updateable. Open the query in datasheet view and try and change one of the values. If you are unable to change a value you have a recordset that is not updateable. There are several references that explain how to create an updateable query with multiple tables including the online help and a white paper on the Microsoft site. In addition, you can try posting the sql from the query and someone here is bound to be able to help.