New Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Saving Pictures in received E-Mail - 2003 (2003)

I have auto-download of embedded pictures block, for obvious reasons. However, once I've determined that the E-mail is valid (i.e. Brian Livingston) I then download the pictures. Problem is the embedded downloaded pictures are then NOT saved in the E-Mail itself. If I'm then off-line to read or re-read the E-Mail, the pictures are lost. Is there any way to configure Outlook 2003 to save these embedded downloaded pictures as part of the E-Mail? Maybe as a WOPR add-on? I do not have 'view as plain text' checked. Thanks.....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Saving Pictures in received E-Mail - 2003 (2003)

Chuck, what are your settings under Tools | Options | Security | Change Automatic Download Settings dialog (from the button in the "Download Pictures" section of the parent dialog).
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have "Don't download pictures or other content automatically in HTML e-mail checked" checked and "Warn me before downloading content when editing....." checked. I only want to sometimes save the E-Mail. I've tried other settings on this dialog, but even if I have 'automatically' checked, saved E-Mails being reviewed when I'm OFF-LINE still show the little "X". When on-line, the pictures re-download.

This behavior also happens if I manually download the pictures. Once I've given "permission" for the pictures to be downloaded, they auto-refresh during the review when I'm on-line but don't when I'm off-liine.

It's frustrating when reading E-Mail on the train. It's even more frustrating when reviewing the E-Mails later after some time has passed and the embedded pictures have been removed from the Internet. In this case, I cannot retrieve them at all. I can understand if the 'links' associated with the pictures have been removed from the Internet, but it would be nice to have at least the embedded pictures saved in Outlook.

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are they "embedded" or are they "Linked"?

If linked they will not be save locally.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: Auto Saving Pictures in received E-Mail - 2003

I think these messages are like little web pages: the images are cached for a while, outside of Outlook, and then flushed during routine housekeeping. To "lock in" the images you probably have to forward the message to yourself, checking the menu item to embed images from the Internet. I'm not aware of any way to actually embed them in the original message.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I guess they are links, because looking at the HTML source (save as....) of the latest of Brian Livingston's newsletters has the HTML tag of "SRC=www.xxxxx.yyyyy/zzzzz.jpg".

I guess we want to configure Outlook 2003 to do an auto-embed. I'm also researching some picture saver such as "C:FNewOutlookPictureExtractor_1.30.exe" and "C:FNewOutlookHelper_5.0.0.zip" to see if I can dedicate a local directory for these embedded pictures and auto-change the received E-Mail to link to the local directory instead of the web when viewing. If Outlook cannot be configured but this works, I'll post another message with "SOLVED" so that others will know how to do it.....

Chuck