Lounger
    Thanks

Download Blocking (Internet Explorer6, SP2)

I have Windows XP with SP 2. I have the "Jardinains" game downloaded (from the Jardinains website) on another computer and since we like it so well I wanted to download it on the Windows XP computer. But after the download has been going a while, Internet Explorer tells me in a little dialog box that this program doesn't have a digital signature (I'm not sure if that's the exact term used, but something like that) and that this means that there is no guarantee that the program hasn't been tampered with. Therefore their advice is to not run the program, so I pressed the "do not run" button in the dialog box as they advised. So, does that mean that after this download it did not go ahead and install? It doesn't show it as being installed in the Control Panel Add-Remove-Programs box ... no mention of it anywhere.
    So now I have a couple of questions: 1) Is that the wise thing to do -- to not go ahead with getting the program from the website because of there being no digital signature (even though the program works fine on the other computer .... installed several months ago)?
    2)Is there anything on my computer from this website (since, I didn't press the "run" button to complete the process) ... any bad stuff lurking somewhere that I need to be worried about (I'm sort of super-careful with this computer now since it crashed on me a few weeks ago).
    I'd appreciate any words of wisdom that anyone might have since I'm still very much in the "dummy" category. (the website is www.jardinains.com/index.html)
    Thanks,
    DeeJay

Thanks

Re: Download Blocking (Internet Explorer6, SP2)

Dee Jay,
    If you mean it was not digitally signed, that means that MS has not yet put it's "blessing" on the program yet. ( to be used in XP ) You can still download it and install it. Just click the box where it says "continue anyway". By the way it's best to download and save the program to avoid having to repeat the download again. If you want to have some peace of mind before downloading, set a "System Restore" point so you can revert any system problems that MAY arise.

By clicking the "do not run" button, you aborted the installdownload. You have to do it again if you didn't save the proram first.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

There are a lot of similar-sounding messages, so it can be a bit difficult to parse. When you are downloading an ActiveX program, you can set different security options for "signed" and "unsigned" programs. To sign requires a digital certificate trail leading back to a certificate authority (such as VeriSign). Most of the time, your browser automatically trusts and installs signed ActiveX programs from the Internet, unless you tell it not to. If they are unsigned, you often will be prompted as to whether or not you want to download and install them. I suspect this is the prompt you are seeing. There might or might not be more information available, for example, showing that there is a certificate but it can't be traced back to a valid authority.

Basically, when a program is unsigned, you can't really know whether it is the genuine article or something inserted into the web site by another person or entity. If the game site has a FAQ saying, yeah, we know about this error, it's probably fine. But if they don't, it would be safer to contact them rather than to assume the file is okay.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the good info from you both. I decided to go ahead and contact the guy at his website. Nothing in the FAQ about this kind of thing. So I'll wait for his answer and go from there.
    Thanks again and have a great day!

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, still no word from the guy who created the program after all this time. I don't know what to think. He sounds like a nice guy on the website and others have downloaded the game with no problems. But it's sounding just a bit worriesome to me. I don't think I'm going to download the game and risk inviting trouble.
    Dee Jay