Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Restoring SysTray icons (XP all)

I'm on dodgy ground here, since I'm referring to a PC to which I have no access, but here goes.

On a small network of PCs, there is one in particular which appears to have "lost" the systray icon for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, as well as not showing the Windows Update icon (presumably because none are outstanding?). I can't obviously do the "Right click on Task Bar -> Properties -> Hide Inactive icons/Customise" procedure because of non-adjacency, so my question is fairly general.

I installed Symantec Corporate Edition V9, plus its SP2 patch, but this did not restore the yellow mouse/shield-like icon to the System Tray.

How do these systray icons get generated, and can they be deleted (yes, deleted, I do not mean "hidden") by the user? TechNet is not wildly informative, and previous discussion in this forum doesn't really address my question, at least AFAICS.

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restoring SysTray icons (XP all)

John,

From what I can tell these icons come and go depending on wind speed and direction. I have two or three which keep disappearing and require a reboot, or restart of the associated application, to bring them back.

I think that what happens is that each one is created by the associated application making a call to a system API and that if the system tray "loses it" you need to get the application to ask nicely for it to be put back again.

There is much more code than I will ever understand in <!mskb=162613>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 162613<!/mskb> if you want some more reading.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you tried the options of NAV?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dave

I would have done, if I could find that screen in the Corporate Edition!

Next time I'm there I will have an even more extensive hunt...

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Give this a try. In Control Panel, go to Taskbar and Start Menu. Click on Hide inactive icons, even though that's not what you want. Then the Customize bar will become available. Click on that and you may discover a very large number of icons, broken down into 'Current Items' and 'Past Items'. If what you want is there then customize, apply, and click OK. Once you're back in business you can undo Hide inactive icons. I'm on dodgy ground as well, since I haven't tried it myself.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Peter

That was "the procedure" which I referred to (in abbreviated form) in my original post! I think my problem relates to someone having deleted the icon in question, but as I said I won't have access to it for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the idea, though - it isn't by any means an obvious place for Microsoft to hide things...

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...