Thread: Access denied

Thanks

Access denied

We have a network using my desktop and my wife's laptop, both running WIndows XP Home with SP2. We are connected via a router which is connected to our cable modem. I can see all her files, including her My Documents. She can see my C: drive and can access shared documents, she can print to my printer, but she can't access my My Documents. She has the new version of the Windows firewall, I am running Sygate Personal Firewall and therefore have the Windows Firewall turned off, but even with both Firewalls turned off we have this problem. I think we were previously OK on this and I am not sure when the problem first arose, but it could have been when I got SP2 (which I did before she did). We both have sharing enabled on our respective drives.

The message that she gets when she tries to access my files is

Ian-studydrive cdocuments and settingsIan is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

Help please!

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access denied

You MUST go to your "My Documents" and right click and share this folder. It is by default NOT shared unless the owner shares it.

You may need to remove the check in the box "Make this folder private".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Thanks, Dave - that sorted it out (putting ticks in the lower half of the dialog box you show; I already had cleared the private setting). Though I don't really understand, because (1) I had tried that before, though this time I changed that AND then restarted my PC, and (2) I can access my wif'es My Documents perfectly well even though she doesn't have ticks in those boxes, in fact her dialog box has the exact same settings as the one you show.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since the C drive is shared and the folder is not made private then any one can access the folder.

The "Private" check mark will even block "Local" access.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Well I am still not sure why the two PCs behaved differently with apparently the same settings, but anyway it works now so thanks.

Ian