4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mozilla Firefox and PC-Cillin (Mozilla Firefox)

Following suggestions found in this forum, I ditched IE and installed Mozilla. Initially, I was delighted with the results but I soon began to experience problems eg freezing due to 100% CPU usage. I traced the problem to an incompatability issue between Trend Micro's pop3trap.exe component and Mozilla. Since I was using an evaluation version of PC-Cillin(with which I was very impressed) I uninstalled it, which solved the problem.
    I intend to keep on using Mozilla. Can loungers recommend an AV/firewalll application compatible with Mozilla?
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mozilla Firefox and PC-Cillin (Mozilla Firefox

I've been running Avast! AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm without a problem at home on both my WinXP, and WinME computers. Both computers when booted to Windows, use Firefox and Thunderfbird for their web and email clients.
    Christopher Baldrey

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response, Chris. I'll check them out. As a matter of interest, why do you run both when ZoneAlarm is" the only suite you'll ever need"?
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

Thanks

Re: Mozilla Firefox and PC-Cillin (Mozilla Firefox)

On my system, Norton AV2004 and Sygate Personal Firewall have been running fine on IE, Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Boy Rob, I wouldn't want to give up on PCCillin too quickly if I were you. I don't know if the problem was caused by the evaluation version or not, but in my (current) opinion it's one of the top AV programs out there. I'm well into my second year of use and it's completely unobtrusive on my system. The updates are frequent and almost automatic. I use "regular" Mozilla but have had a couple of the dot-versions of Firefox installed for testing and didn't have any problems there either.

However, the program you mention has been a tiny bit of a problem when I got started. It wouldn't work as it's supposed to (long story) but Trend Micro had a small fix listed at their web site and after making a small change to the PCCillin INI file, I've not had any problems. You might want to write them with a more complete description of the machine and maybe a screenshot of your Task Manager Processes would help figure it out. What program do you use for email? If you're like most people, and you're having your email program check for messages at regular intervals (10 minutes?) I would turn OFF that email checking temporarily to see if the problem stops.

Edited: Reading my own words again, it occurs to me that I'm NOT using PCCillin for firewall, since I started with PCCillin 2003 and at the beginning of this year, paid for my second year of use. When I did, the program "updated" my components but I don't have their firewall. I wonder if THAT component, coupled with their POP trapping thingie could be the problem. Could you disengage their firewall, again maybe temporarily?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

ZoneAlarm is only a firewall package - I only use the free version. I don't know if the Pro or anyother version has anti-virus with it or not.

I do things on the cheap personally. Anti-virus, firewall, web browser, email, etc ... they're all free as in beer, or free for personal use packages on my PCs.
    Christopher Baldrey

Thanks

pop3trap.exe is, I believe, a proxy that intercepts mail for any POP client. While the internals of virus-scanning proxies are proprietary and presumably complex, the external interfaces could not be simpler: your mail program sends a request for new mail to the proxy, the proxy fetches, inspects and, if necessary, cleans or kills it, and then returns it to your mail program. If it worked with Outlook Express, I don't understand why it wouldn't work identically with Mozilla or Thunderbird.

Another option, should you choose to take a bit more risk, is not to run the proxy scanner at all. This is a configuration option for PC-cillin and Norton (I don't know about McAfee). See <post#=327510>post 327510</post#> for more thoughts on this.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all for your input. I have only ever used Yahoo for my email on the basis that less MS is best.
    During my fishing expedition I discovered that I had two different sets of Trend Micro stuff in my Program Files. One relating to the evaluation version of PC-Cillin and the other to the Trend Micro Internet protection suite which I had purchased. On upgrading to XP from ME, the purchased product no longer worked. It kept prompting me for my product key which I dutifully supplied but which was rejected and I found myself using a 30 day evaluation version. I have used the alleged customer support site to email Trend Micro with a request to rectify the product key issue only to find myself on the automated email response merry-go-round. So I find myself with a product which I have purchased but cannot use and unable to get any support from T M. I am unwilling to spend more money ringing the support line. I am one dissatisfied customer. The irony is that I was very happy with the product (when it worked). Perhaps this has something to do with the problem. Anyway, I have installed Norton Corporate Edition with no apparent harmful effects.

Thanks

> On upgrading to XP from ME, the purchased product no longer worked.

It's very possible that PC-cillin/Internet Security has two versions, one for 98/ME operating systems, and one for NT/2000/XP, due to deep differences between those systems. (This certainly is true for Trend Micro's corporate OfficeScan product.) Too bad the installer (or whatever program asked for the product key) couldn't work out how to make the transition after your upgrade, and that tech support didn't figure it out on the first try.