5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Serial ATA Hard Drive

A friend bought a new DELL (8400) that came with a 160 GB hard drive - serial ATA. When he first started the system, the hard drive was not recognized but then after restarting the system a few times, the hard drive came up OK. He configured the system and transferred files, documents, pictures, etc from his old computer to the new system. The next day, the new Dell does not recognize the hard drive. He did not make a backup of his files, pictures, etc. Dell tech support says his hard drive is defective and are sending a new tower. I do not have a system that will take a serial ATA hard drive. Is it necessary to have a system that will connect to the ATA serial drive or is there some kind of adapter so it could hook up with a IDE drive? I would like to recover his files and pictures if at all possible. Suggestions please. Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Serial ATA Hard Drive

Of course, the first mistake was trusting the drive after it failed to start a few times. Godd drives just don't do that.

I've found an IDE to SATA adapter in my Cyberguys catalog, but not the reverse. You can always buy a Serial ATA pci card forprobabk under $50.

If the drive is defective, you probably won't be able to read from it anyway.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I may have missed something here, but what happened to the old computer? Could he not just transfer the files from it to the replacement Dell, like he did the first time?

Secondly, I presume you've checked the seating of the power and data cable plugs for the hard disk, at each end...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old computer has been cleaned off and sold. Yes, I checked all wires and cables on both ends.