2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Driver Signing in SP2 (XP Pro SP2)

Did I miss something in the raft of information that Micro$oft issued about XP SP2 regarding driver signing?

I've rebuilt my system from scratch using a slipstreamed CD after the attempted upgrade to SP2 caused various problems on my box, (but that's another story). The rebuild went fine and I took several Ghost images during the process so that, if I do uncover a problem, I can roll it back to a position before the problem emerged, (ideally) and restart driver/software/hardware installation from there.

I bought a new DVD Writer to replace my CD Writer and, when XP detected it, it tried to install the default Microsoft drivers for the unit. While the install was happening, however, I got the message about "The software you are installing for this hardware has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Driver Signing in SP2 (XP Pro SP2)

I am not familiar with legal issues of "Windows Logo Testing", but doing my job I see this message several times a week. All IT personnel routinely ignored this message and never sees any complications because of it. More, Microsoft itself confirmed that it is a problem (see, for example, KB293765 or KB828031).

Just "install anyway" and think about this message as "accept terms and conditions" message - necessary from legal point of view and irrelevant from technical one...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm also used to such messages from third-party drivers for things like scanners and, (especially) graphics cards and I, too, continue with the installation anyway. Their appearance since the installation of SP2, however, is the first I've seen them on what are very obviously Microsoft owned and developed drivers, (i.e. IntelliPoint/IntelliTouch), which should, logically, all be signed, (by Micro$oft), as XP Compliant before release.

Doesn't this negate whatever usefulness there is in the Driver Compliance approval concept if even M$ drivers, (which I can't remember showing the same message when they were installed under SP1), present themselves to the OS as not having been signed?

Am I missing something?
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

See KB822798 for more information.

Joe
    Joe