Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Right Click - Open Folder In New Window

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Tricky on 24-Oct-04 23:50. Changed blue text to bold text for clarity. Thanks Leif.)</P>You can choose to open folders in the same window or in a new window. I have mine set to open in the same window to keep things tidy. But there are times when a new window is preferable: like when you need to compare or drag & drop folders / files, etc.

To force a folder to open in a new window, hold down the CTRL key and double-click the folder. My experience is: sometimes (for whatever reason!) this does not work... So here's another option: I recently encountered this tip from an article, It's a registry tweak that will add an Open In New Window option when righ-clicking on a folder in a Desktop window.

Open the registry editor - Start | Run, type regedit and press ENTER.
    Click your way to - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECLASSESDIRECTORYSHELL.
    Right-click the Shell key and select New and Key from the pop-up menu.
    Name the new key: opennew.
    A value , called Default, will appear in the right windowpane of the Registry Editor.
    Right-click on Default and select Modify from the pop-up menu.
    In the Value Data field, type Open In New &Window and click OK.
    In the left windowpane, right-click the opennew key you created earlier.
    Select New and Key from the pop-up menu.
    Name the new key: command.
    In the right-pane, right-click (Default) and select Modify from the pop-up menu.
    In the Value data field, type C:Windowsexplorer.exe % 1.
    Note: There is a space before the %, but there is no space between the % and the numeral 1.
    Exit the registry editor.

No need to reboot - Now when you right-click a folder in a Desktop window, you'll have the option to open the selected folder in a new window.</font color=blue>.
    Exit the registry editor.

No need to reboot - Now when you right-click a folder in a Desktop window, you'll have the option to open the selected folder in a new window.
    - Ricky

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Right Click - Open Folder In New Window

Tricky

That's very cute. For those who find regedit a bit scary here is a .REG file that will make those changes. You need to remove the .txt from the filename - so it is just called OpenInNewWindow.reg and then double click it.

You should right click it and choose open to check that the contents look like Ricky's post before running this - just for safety.

StuartR