Star Lounger
    Thanks

Search for text (2002 SR/1)

I have a number of different Visio drawings on my system, probably around 65-70. I need to identify ones that have specific text in them so that I can make changes to those drawings. When I use Start - Find - Files and Folders, specifying files Named *.vsd and putting the desired text in the Advanced tab, my search doesn't identify any files as meeting those criteria. Am I doing something wrong, or is there another way to search across many Visio files?

Thanks,
    Caroline

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Search for text (2002 SR/1)

Windows XP only searches some file types by default. Try the following steps to enable searching of all files (from <!mskb=309173>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 309173<!/mskb>)...

<UL><LI>Start > Search > Change Preferences > With Indexing Service (for faster local searches) > Change Indexing Service
    <LI>This will open up an MMC window with a title of Indexing Service.
    <LI>Click the Show/Hide Console Tree button (third from the left on the toolbar)
    <LI>Right click the top line on the left, that says Indexing Service on Local Machine
    <LI>Properties
    <LI>Check the box that says "Index files with unknown extensions"
    <LI>OK and Close all windows that you just opened
    <UL>
    This DOES NOT turn on the indexing service, it simply tells Windows XP to allow you to search inside unknown file types!

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using Windows NT 4.0 and don't appear to have the options that you mention. My system goes to Start > Find > but then has no options to Change Preferences or select With Indexing Service. Are there ways to do the same thing in Windows NT?

Thanks,
    Caroline

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think you need this feature in NT4, I think it searches all files by default, so I guess I'm out of ideas - anyone else got a suggestion?

StuartR