New Lounger
    Thanks

Tracking different editors changes (Word 1997-2002)

I would like to track the changes made by different editors who review a document. Does anyone know if Word is able to track the changes of the different editors and show them on the document by editor? I am doing a court pleading and various attorneys are making their editorial changes and I need to track which attorney has made what changes. Thanks for any help!

Thanks

Re: Tracking different editors changes (Word 1997-2002)

Yes - there is an option for tracked changes to be shown in different colours by author, in all the Word versions you mention. On the Tools menu go to Options and the Track Changes tab, then make sure that option is selected. Then make sure that the various people making changes always do it with Track Changes turned on.

Ian

Thanks

Re: Tracking different editors changes (97-2002)

In Word 2002, if the option is set to remove personal information (Tools>Options...>Security tab), you may get the changes marked with "Unknown," which is not very helpful, so various people may need to clear that checkbox in order for you to know who changed what.

As for how to "see" the authors, if the color system is not good enough, one could write a macro to insert little hidden text annotations. However, this would be more useful as an after the fact documentation exercise rather than a real-time editing tool.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response - my problem is that I have approximately 10 or so attorneys looking at this pleading and each making their own proposed changes. It's too late to assign a color to each attorney and I doubt the attorney(s) would adhere to their assigned color. I was hoping that somehow each attorney who made changes could be noted on those particular changes in the balloon portions of the changes. Thanks - sure appreciate the help!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tracking different editors changes (Word 1997-

I think you misunderstood Ian's suggestion. You don't assign a color to the attorneys...Word does. If you go to Tools/Options/Tracked Changes &, under the color dropdown, choose Author, then almost every attorney will have their own color assigned. I say almost because I can't remember at what point Word starts using the same colors over.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to the option (found under Tools/Options/Track Changes on versions 97 to 2000) that Ian mentions, you can then password protect the document for tracked changes (Tools/Protect Document.../Tracked Changes). Every author's tracked changes will be a different color combination (up to a limit).

Thanks

But even if Word does start to reuse the same colours, it still identifies the author's name.

Ian

Thanks

Re: Tracking different editors changes (97-2002)

Unfortunately, I believe the author information is only available in the "screen tip" that pops up when you mouse over the change.

New Lounger
    Thanks

We are having a similar problem with tracking changes from different authors. Only we are sending the document back and forth via email to an outside consultant. The problem we are having is that when the document is emailed back to us, we have to save it using a document management program (not Word itself), which then makes us the author, so any changes the outside consultant may have done are now colour coded to us? We are using Word 2000 and all we really want to do is have our changes show up as one colour (say red) and the outside consultant's changes show up as a different colour (say blue). Unfortunately we have to save it using the document management system (Hummingbird DM).

Please help!!!!!

Thanks!

Tracey

Thanks

Hummingbird shouldn't create a problem in that way. Word gets the author information for changes from Tools>Options>User Information. In later versions of word, this "personal information" can be removed at Save time, leaving all changes marked as "unknown" (e.g., Tools>Options>Security). However, it should never be the case that simply saving a document makes different "real" authors' changes the same color, as long as you have Tools>Options>Tracked Changes set to display By Author. It may flip them around from what you would prefer (red to blue to gray, etc.), but there still should be at least two distinct colors. Does this make sense at all?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it does make sense. Thank you - we'll try it again (and I'll have to make sure that we have our track changes set to "by author"). Thanks again for your help!

Tracey W.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Also -- I don't know if the option is available in Hummingbird DM, but in the older DocsOpen product there is an "Action" on the versions dialog which allows you to import a file as a version or subversion.
    Karen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2002 and later allows filtering the tracked changes by author. On the Reviewing toolbar click on Show / Reviewers and select the author(s) you wish to view.
    Karen