Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Errors when opening Access (2000)

Click on Debug and tell us what command it has bombed on.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Errors when opening Access (2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 25-Oct-04 19:05. activate post link)</P>I recently designed an Access database and put permissions in it, according to this post.
    <post#=285418>post 285418</post#>. I have one database that uses this exact method and it works fine. The database that I recently created copied the macro & module from the database that works, I added the Microsoft DAO 3.6 object and it opens just fine on my computer, but it doesn't work on my co-worker's computer. We are both running Access 2000. The error that they get is:

"The account used to create the workspace does not exist" and then another error "Runtime error 91, object variable or with block variable not set" and then asks them to debug or end.

I tried looking these up at the Microsoft support site and coldn't find anything. Has anyone run across this error?

Thanks,
    Kindra

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you remember to copy the mdw file over to the other person's computer? It sounds like they might be opening the database with the default workgroup on their machine, and if you have secured the application, that won't work.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah.... that's the problem. I have no .mdw file in the folder where my application is. However, when I click on Tools -> Security -> User-Level Security Wizard, my only option is to "Modify my current workgroup file" which tells me that there is a workgroup file that I have set up somewhere, I'm just not sure where it's located. Do you know how to find out where that would be?

Thanks,
    Kindra

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can search your hard disk for .mdw files. Note: it may be in a hidden folder, so make sure that you display hidden files and folders.

You can also use the Workgroup Administrator program Wrkgadm.exe. For the US version, it is in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice1033, for the UK version the 1033 must probably be replaced by 2057. The Workgroup Administrator will show which workgroup you're currently a member of.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As it turns out, I was modifying an already existing .mdw file to another database I had created. I just changed that information back to what it was originally so that database can access it.

So, now my question would be how do I create a new .mdw file for my new database?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you open a code window and select View Immediate to open the Immediate window you can type in
    ?DBEngine.SystemDB
    It will tell you the path to the Workgroup file being used for the database you have open. This may help you determine which mdw is being used by the database you are opening and where the one you want to use is located.

Carla

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To create a new .mdw, use the Workgroup Addministrator - see my previous reply for details.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, and see (for example) <post#=395639>post 395639</post#> for how to create a shortcut that opens a database with a specific .mdw file.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I created a new workgroup file and put it into the folder in which my database resides. I now get the dreaded "You do not have the necessary permissions to use the <path & file name> object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you." This is before I get to any login screen. I click OK and nothing happens.

I did change my shortcut to read my .mdw file. Here's my target:
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE" "VATADATABASEROLFING APPLICATIONSSupplies Ordering DatabaseSupplies Ordering.mdb" /WRKGRP "VATADATABASEROLFING APPLICATIONSSupplies Ordering DatabaseSecured.mdw"

How can I get into my database to modify the permissions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you get that message before you get a login screen, it would seem that you don't have sufficient permissions on either the VATADATABASEROLFING APPLICATIONSSupplies Ordering Database folder, or on the files in that folder. You need to have modify (read/write/create/delete) permissions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I think I have my other problem fixed (of not being able to open the database) -- but now I'm back to this error. When I log in, it first gives me a msg box that says "The account used to create the workspace does not exist" I click "OK" and then it gives me run-time error '91': object variable or With block variable not set. I click Debug and MyWorkspace.Close is highlighted. ???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That is still an issue with the ownership of the database - that's another part of the database security model. I think you may have to import everything into a new empty database and then resecure it in order to resolve your issues. It's pretty difficult to change the owner of a database in any other way.
    Wendell