5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Format very slow

I am formatting a 40 GB (used) hard drive and it is going really slow. I am up to 53% after about 90 minutes. What would cause this to be so slow? I am using a 700 Mhz system with 512 MB ram to do the formatting. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Should I be concerned about the integrity of the hard drive.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disk Format very slow

You may just have an old slow drive. If there are lots of errors then the disk may be recalibrating a lot, you can hear when this happens as it involves full length seeks across the surface. Do you hear any odd noises? Have a look in the Event Log to see if any errors are being reported.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You didn't say what you're using to do the format, but if a 40 GB drive is taking that long, I'd suspect a problem with the drive and run the drive manufaturer's diagnostics program to be sure. The only times that has happened to me, it turned out that the (Maxtor) drives failed their diagnostics and were "declared" defective. Be wary!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart, I am not hearing any unusual noises from the hard drive. Just going really slow. It is now up to 90% and crawling. The hard drive is about 4 years old. So I will just continue to be patient. Thank goodness for "test" systems that do not affect my ability to surf or do other work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I simply booted the system with a WIN 98 startup disk and then did the format command. The drive is a Quantum Fireball.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it may be nothing, but you should check for the diagnostics and run 'em just to be sure. I'd also run (after the format DOES complete) a scandisk to see what it says. These days, 40 GB isn't that large and a "typical" format shouldn't take "hours" to run. As I said, be wary...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I guess if this is Windows98 then you don't get an event log either! Sounds risky to me. I would recommend a full surface scandisk before putting any data on this thing. (or chkdisk if you're going to use Windows XP).

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The format process just finished. How do I run SCANDISK? Can I run it from the DOS prompt. Does the WIN 98 startup disk have SCANDISK on it?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just figured out how to do the SCANDISK and am running a surface scan as I type this. Thanks for your help.