2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Transition speed between slides (Office 2000 / Windows 98)

Hi although I use the Access forum quite a lot this is my first visit to this forum.

I want to make a presentation that consists of about 10 slides for a service in our church. They are all pictures and they want them to be displayed for about 4 minutes and then gradually fade into the next slide. The transition could be as long as 30 seconds. They don't want it to be a distraction, just a background and it is felt that a quick transition would take peoples mind off the service.

I looks though the posts and I guess if there has been no change since Post: 32068, then it can't be done.

Could someone be kind enough to confirm that this is the case and if they had the same problem what was their solution

With thanks

Michael Peak
    Morecambe England

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Transition speed between slides (Office 2000 / Windows 98)

I don't understand the issue here - you can set the timing between slide transitions to 4 or more minutes, and you can set it to a slow transition with a number of special effects. If you want even slower transitions, you can set a custom animation for the picture in addition to the slow fades out and in.
    Wendell

Thanks

You get better control over transition speeds in newer versions of PPT.
    In your situation, what I would do is fade the pictures out and in over a series of timed slides.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,

Sorry if I did not make myself clear.

The sequence is I want to display a picture for say five minutes. Then ideally, (in sound terms), a cross fade that takes about 15 seconds to the next slide and so on for the rest of the ten slides. The idea is that the congregation see the slides, but are not distracted by the change to the next..

Even if I use a slow transition it's still changes in about 2 seconds, which is very noticable.

Michael

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think Catharine has the better idea - I tinkered with combining the Transition with Custom Animation in PPT 2002 and I can get the transition to take as much as about 10 seconds, but it isn't very smooth. Perhaps Echo or one of the other loungers can suggest other alternatives.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, no version of PPT allows you to control the actual slide transition duration. You can control the duration of the slide itself, and, as others have mentioned, you can control the speed of the animations in PPT 2002 and 2003. But as for the actual slide transition itself, no go.

I would actually recommend that you look into something like Windows Movie Maker, a free download from MS, especially for a show that's a series of images with music playing in the background. I think that you might like the results of it better than PPT for what you're doing. Only thing is, WMM requires Windows XP, and I see you're using Windows 98. Do you have access to a WinXP machine? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en is a link to where you can download WMM, if you're interested in trying it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's great, Michael! I'm very glad to hear that you found an inexpensive utility to do what you needed.

(PowerPoint is a great application, but for the type of thing you wanted, it's just not the best thing to work with.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by WebGenii on 03-Nov-04 22:40. to activate hyperlink)</P>Thank you all for your helpful advice. I hope that it not considered to be advertising, but I found a program called Picture to EXE (http://www.wnsoft.com/) on the web that make a self executable that runs on anything from Windows 95 to XP for $24 that did the job perfectly. I ended up with 3 minutes per slide a 15 second perfect cross fade which was wonderful.

Thanks again for your help

Michael Peak