Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dell Computer Corporation A05 12/02/2003

hey not sure weather bios is hadware or software so hope i got it right any way i have the Dell Computer Corporation A05 12/02/2003 bios on a dell dimesions desktop pc i would like to know if it is possible to unlock all the fetures in the bios i.e clock speed of the prossesor. as i wish to over clock it and make varyiouse over tweaks i have look for ages on how to do this. any help would be much appriciated thanks dave.

Thanks

Re: Dell Computer Corporation A05 12/02/2003

Dave,
    Overclocking is usually done in the BIOS. IF you can get to these settings at all depends on what version of BIOS you have and IF it is brought out to a screen where you can adjust it. For example, I have a version of AWARD BIOS that is supplied with my Gigabyte motherboard. There is a separate BIOS screen that has numerous settings for the system CPU and memory frequencies and voltages.
    Some CPUs are more tolerant of overclocking than others and you have to be VERY careful about how much of a change you make to the default settings.
    You risk not only burning out your CPU but can also make the system extremely erratic, won't even boot or other bad things that you can't ever recover from.
    You don't overclock without a LOT of caution. I have my system "bumped up" a bit from normal but as soon as I go over that and get a little "exuberant", the system is as flakey as 95 when it first came out. ( or worse )

Regarding Dell, I don't think you can do much ( if at all ) with OCing what you have. BEWARE !
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

seeing as i cant ypload a html file here is a link to were i have put it TechnoFox.com, i have over clocked CPU's pleny of times and am aware of the risk's and i know tha dell always undear clock ther CPU's to increase there life.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding to the other comments, there really is not enough warning we can give you here. Overclocking should only be done on a machine that you are prepared to lose! If you have critical documents or data on that machine I urge you to not do it.

Note too that when you OC your CPU, it is the "supplied" frequencies and voltages that you are increasing. I emphasis that because that means that these changes will also be applied to other components on your motherboard. So not only are you putting your CPU at risk, you could burn out a motherboard component that would require replacing the whole motherboard. And a cascading effect is also possible, where one fried component, shorts another, and then another, to include RAM, CPU, Video, and power supply.

Note that Dells are manufactured to be stable workhorses with cost savings in mind. I would be surprised if the BIOS let you do much, but I suspect if it lets you do anything, the components it affects were not designed with "overhead tolerances" in mind as overhead costs extra money.

That was all point 1.

Point 2. Heat! When you overclock, all the components work harder and therefore they get hotter. If your case is not designed for maximum heat dissipation (and we all know the Dells are not) then OCing becomes even more of a, forgive me, foolish idea! Note it is overclocking that has driven the alternative cooling (like water and refrigeration) options. And now were talking some cash.

If you are mindset on doing this, I strongly urge you to build a new machine with a motherboard that has overclocking capabilities (and utilities!) built in, a good case with lots of cooling capacity, buy the best RAM, and very good power supply.

BillB
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok gets we can call this question closed lol ridk have changed since i first ocerclock mind you the last thing ive overclocked was a PII 233 mhz lol and oc it to 366 but i have got lequid cooling i just havent installed it yet and dint know if i will. but any way thanks for your help.