New Lounger
    Thanks

XPSP3-Outlook Product Key & Gen'l Install Prob

Have XP Pro installed on laptop & desktop - had problems with SP3 on both:

Laptop:
    Outlook 2002 was replaced with Outlook 2003. I was prompted for product key (I have CD/case/product key). Entered it. Error message: Invalid product key. Went to KB and tried workaround (don't remember KB # but gist was to do start/run/c:setup.exe/ and a bunch of other stuff which included the product key. Didn't work.

Noticed on dialog box that the product was referred to as Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003. It's not - it's professional.

Desktop:
    Office update properly detected I needed SP3. I downloaded but installation failed. I reported it to Microsoft and tried to redo it. Wouldn't let me download again (said there were 0 of 0 KB to download). Detector said I'd already downloaded it. Used search in Windows Explorer to find the 2 files associated with SP3 but they weren't there. If I've downloaded the files, where are they?

Appreciate any help anybody can give. Of course, it's never a good time for this to happen...

Merlibird

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: XPSP3-Outlook Product Key & Gen'l Install Prob

Do I understand that you have Office XP installed and ONLY updated Outlook to 2003?

If this is the case, then you may need to use the Outlook 2003 CD when asked, if it asks again the use the Office XP CD.
    When running a mixture of versions you will alway get a mixed report on the version, depending on which program you are in at the time.

If one was to retain the install files on the hard drive, most of this will NOT happen.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, thanx for your response. First, let me tell you I uninstalled and reinstalled Office XP Pro and will not redownload/install SP3 unless and until Microsoft can tell me how to ensure I get the service pack for the proper version (i.e., I have XP pro, but the service pack was for the standard edition) and that the service pack will accept my product key.

In a service incident I submitted to Microsoft last night, I was provided a very convoluted series of steps to follow to ensure that the service pack and Microsoft Office were completely removed from my system before reinstalling from the original CD. Thank goodness I still have it.

In answer to your question, when I installed SP3, Outlook 2002 was replaced by Outlook 2003. It was when I tried to launch Outlook 2003 I was prompted to enter the product key (and I saw that reference was made to Microsoft Office XP Standard Version). The product key was not accepted. However, my other office products continued to run fine (and I saw in version info that all had accepted SP3). However, after booting up this morning, I found that ALL of my office products were prompting me for the product key, and none would accept it, and all referenced the standard version. I was totally screwed and forced to uninstall/reinstall.

We may never know what happened, and it's likely I will never try SP3 again.

I can't fathom that such a screwup could occur, especially after Woody's been on Microsoft's rear for so many years about problems such as this.

Oh well, at least I can work again.

Rachel

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, one more piece of information just FYI. I also posted this on a Microsoft Office newsgroup last night, and I received a response that there's no SP3 to XP. I used the detection feature in Microsoft Office Update website and was told I needed this. So, looks like Office Update is not looking at which version of office is being run before recommending updates.

Very scary...

Rachel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rachel

The person who advised you there was no SP3 for Office XP was wrong, they might have been confused with WIndows XP which has only reached SP2.

You can get Office XP SP3 from the Microsoft download center. There are 2 versions available, if you choose the smaller file you must have your original CDs available. With the larger download you should be able to install the update without it asking for your installation CD.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You can blame Microsoft for confusion about naming, but... First of all, be clear when you talking about XP: is it Office or Windows XP. Windows XP doesn't have SP3 yet, the most recent one is SP2. Office XP, which contains Word 2002, Excel 2002, Outlook 2002 etc, has SP3 Update. This is the same update for all flavors of Office and all its components (see KB832671 for details). As you see, there is no way to upgrade Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003 (which is part of Office 2003) using SP3 for Office XP! You or somebody else have to have Office 2003 or Outlook 2003 Installation CD to do it! Open all your Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and click on Help | About... to see the version of each application and updates (service packs) installed. By the way, the most recent SP for Office 2003 (and its components) is SP1. If you visit Office Update webpage and have any Office2003 applications installed, it will recommends you to install SP1 (for Office 2003).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, Tony, the plot thickens. In either event, the download I selected asked for my CD, but I had no problem with that since I still have the CD. The problem with the laptop installation was that it asked for and rejected my product key when I tried to open Outlook after installation. (Didn't ask for it when opening Excel and Word last night but DID ask for it this morning after computer was shut down for the night - and rejected the product key). Prompt for Product key also referenced Microsoft Office XP Standard Version, and I have XP Pro.

The problem with my desktop installation is that it wouldn't install at all. As it turns out, that was a blessing in disguise!

Microsoft has yet to respond except to recommend uninstalling office (including some convoluted regedit deletions, which I performed) and reinstalling from original CD. Did that and old Office XP Pro works just fine - with no SP3! They suggested I redownload/reinstall, but there's no way in this world I'm going to do that and endure this experience again until they tell me how to ensure I get SP3 for XP pro instead of the standard version and let me know what to do if the product key is rejected again. BTW, after reinstalling from the CD, I was prompted for the product key, which was accepted!

Rachel

New Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb, I apologize for not being more clear that it is office XP Pro I'm discussing. I do know which version I'm running but can see how it might appear that I don't. I do promise you, though, that after SP3 installed, Outlook 2002 was indeed replaced by Outlook 2003! I also ran version checks last night after the SP3 installations and saw that Word and Excel both referenced SP3, despite their failure to prompt for product key until this morning, after computer had been shut down for the night.

Strange, but seriously true.

Thank you for your input.

Rachel

Thanks

1) Reasons for prompting for product key - see <!mskb=293806>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 293806<!/mskb>, <!mskb=842548>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 842548<!/mskb> or <!mskb=321346>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 321346<!/mskb>.

2) SP3 <font color=red>DID NOT</font color=red> replace Outlook 2002 with Outlook 2003. If OL 2003 is installed on your machine, you (or someone) installed it. Service Packs patch existing installations - they DO NOT upgrade to a newer release. You can confirm the version of each program by selecting "Help>About...". If you have OL2003 installed and then proceeded to install Office XP, problems will result (<!mskb=826494>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 826494<!/mskb>).

3) Is your version of Office XP a full retail version or an OEM version (came bundled with a computer)? If it is an OEM version, you may NOT install it on a second computer.

4) If you have had previous versions of Office installed (including Microsoft Works), uninstall them. Then uninstall Office XP following the instructions received from MS in response to your incident report. It may well then be worth running the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility . Then do a fresh install of Office XP from the CD.

You say that you won't download and install SP3 again "until they tell me how to ensure I get SP3 for XP pro instead of the standard version". There (as Tony has pointed out) are NOT various SP3 versions for the various flavours of Office XP. There are 2 (a smaller version which requires the OfficeXP CDs and a larger one which does not) at this location . If you have a broadband connection, I would recommend downloading the larger version.

5) If you continue to have problems with your product key, there are instructions here on how to obtain a new key.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

John, thank you for your response. I'll respond point by point.

1) I don't care why it prompted for the product key. I have it, and I consider entering it just one of those things one has to do, and I've known that for years, having had to do it for years, which is why I make sure I always know where my CD/case are.

2) SP3 DID TOO replace Outlook 2002 with 2003. Icon on the desktop changed, and the splash screen for Outlook 2003 came up before the box requesting the product key. The fact that it wasn't supposed to do that doesn't mean it didn't. Excel and Word opened and worked after the install (and I'm a step ahead of you on checking the version - did that in Excel and Word, and my version had been updated to SP3). It was after the computer was shut down for the night that I tried to open Excel and Word the next morning and got prompted for the product key, which was rejected as invalid.

3) It's a full retail version, not OEM.

4) I have no previous versions of office on either computer. Office XP Pro was the original and only installation of Microsoft Office ever installed on either computer.

I'll take you at your word that SP3 doesn't come in various flavours of Office XP, but the screen that prompted me for product key referenced Microsoft Office Standard Version. Because I have cable internet (broadband), I downloaded the larger version. Like a lot of us, I'm self employed and time is money, and I can't afford to go through this again (this week, anyway). The Microsoft Customer Support Engineer who responded to my incident gave me instructions to uninstall SP3 and office and reinstall office XP Pro from my CD, then go back and download/install SP3. His instructions for download/reinstall were the same I originally followed, so I'm very reluctant to do that again. I emailed him my concerns about doing it again and asked for assurances the problem wouldn't recur (or steps I could take to ensure it wouldn't). 24 hours later I have yet to hear a thing.

5) Are you saying that if I reinstall SP3 and have trouble with the product key that requesting a new one will fix the problem?

Rachel

Thanks

1) If you've had to enter the key for years (" having had to do it for years "), then there is definitely a problem with your installation. You say "I don't care why it prompted for the product key" and yet you say that the product key is being rejected as invalid. I don't understand the purpose of this whole thread then ??? Have you reported this (invalid product key problem) to Microsoft?

2) Have you considered submitting this (SP3 replacing OL2002 with OL2003) to Microsoft in an incident report? I'm sure they would be quite interested in this. I assume that Outlook 2003 AND Microsoft Office XP Professional both appear in Add/Remove Programs?
    You also mention only Word and Excel. How do PowerPoint and Access work? Do they also demand the CD key?

3) Full Retail version - then you certainly can install it on your desktop and your laptop.

4) OK

5) I'm not saying that it will fix the problem. I'm only pointing out that obtaining a new key MAY solve the problem if your current key keeps being rejected as invalid. MS tech support may be able to give you a definitive answer on this.
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks

John, what I meant by having to enter the product key for years is that as I've replaced computers in prior years, I've had to install whatever version of office I might have been using at that time (and I think it was probably office 95 at that point, then 98, then 2000, and now XP), and product key is something I'm always prompted for. What I meant is that years ago I accepted product key entry as a fact of life. That said, again, XP is all that's ever been on either of these two computers.

The replacement of Outlook 2002 with Outlook 2003 via SP3 is included in the incident report I submitted to Microsoft. Support engineer ignored the issue, simply providing instructions for uninstall and redownload/reinstall. I wasn't particularly impressed with the service this time as it failed to address THE ISSUES and served only as a how to uninstall/reinstall/download/install. Nothing as to WHY any of this happend and how to prevent it from happening in the future.

Didn't test the version with PP and Access - should have, but it's moot now because I am once again running on plain vanilla Office XP Pro as it came on the CD.

Wish they'd given me a definitive answer. Have yet to receive the "sign off" email from my support engineer, so perhaps he's looking into it, but he gave me no info as to WHAT he's doing out there.

Rachel

New Lounger
    Thanks

John, forgot to mention the product key issue was also reported in my support incident to Microsoft. SRZ041026000227 is the incident #. It's been years since I've submitted a support incident so I don't know if those are public or not. They weren't many years ago.

Rachel

Thanks

OK - gotcha! That being said, then you may want to try what I suggested in a previous post (uninstalling according to the instructions from MS and then running the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility). There is obviously something amiss somewhere and this may help. As well, I certainly wouldn't recommend leaving the installation as is. SP1, 2, & 3 contain many security updates and I certainly wouldn't want to be without them. There have also been updates since SP3 and if I am correct, I don't think these will install if SP3 has not been installed.
    John