Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Query doesn't return desired results (2002)

OK, after 3 hours with no success and a night of no sleep due to trying to fix this in my head, I'm turning to the experts.

I have a query based on [tblClientList] that contains field [referral_2]. I need to be able to manipulate this data in a variety of ways, which I am able to set up. My problem occurs because I need to know the actual count of the [referral_2]. Since this field is a text field I added another field [referralcount] which assigns numbers to [referral_2] and allows me to get totals by [referral_2]. This works fine. Where I run into trouble is when I try to filter by date range or year. If I enter [entrydate] into the query, the counts are listed by the # of [referral_2] per [entry_dt].

My ulitmate goal is to be able to filter the report by either dates or year on frmStrategic planning, but I can't even get it to do what I want without using the form. I will at some point need to set it up as a crosstab query (which I experimented with but the problem was the same) with [referral_2] as a row and Months as a column header and the value as the total count of [referral_2]. This will need to be filtered by year which will be entered on frmStrategicPlanning. I'm pretty sure I can set that up once the filtering by entry_dt issue is fixed.

Conceeding defeat,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query doesn't return desired results (2002)

You can add entry_date to the query and set its Total option to Where. This will automatically clear the Show check box, so that entry_date will not be in the displayed result of the query. Set the criteria for entry_date to

Between [Forms]![frmStrategicPlanning]![txtStartDate] And [Forms]![frmStrategicPlanning]![txtEndDate]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

WOW!! I didn't try that before because I figured for sure it would require something I wouldn't know how to do. That is awesome.

Thanks Hans,
    Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

If I want to make enter the text "unknown" to [referral_2] in blank rows, how would I could it? I tried doing an iif and used nz, but of course didn't get the syntax correct.
    Thanks,
    Leesha

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Use :
    NewReferral:IIf(IsNull([referral_2]),"Unknow",[referral_2])
    Note that you'll have to change referral_2 to NewReferral in all queries,forms and reports based on that query
    Francois

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That worked great! Believe it or not I tried experimenting with isnull but got all sorts of errors (again my syntax) and so tried nz with no result. Sometimes my experimenting works but most times not!

Thanks,
    Leesha