Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change Workgroup (Access 2002 SP3)

I have two databases with 2 separate workgroups. I'll call them DB1 and DB2.

DB2 now needs to be able to be accessed by the members of the workgroup who have access to DB1.

How can I move the accessibility of DB2 to the workgroup of those in DB1?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change Workgroup (Access 2002 SP3)

I'm not sure what you're asking. The permissions actually reside in the database file, with the passwords and logins in the workgroup file. If the user names and passwords are the same in the two workgroups, then all the users need do it join the other workgroup to use the database.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

Perhaps I am not in a full understanding of workgroups but I was under the impression that a database is secured by the workgroup under which it was created. While a person can be a member of many workgroups, he/she must still be in the proper workgroup in order to access the db.

In order to use the database in question, one must be a member of the Security workgroup. The operations that pertain to that database are now being transferred to the SDD department. The operator in question is presently a member of the SDD workgroup and I've made her a member of the Security workgroup.

I'm tying to eliminate the need for the operator to have to change workgroups to use the db I'm moving to her area. I thought I could accomplish this by "assigning" the database to the SDD workgroup (as Security no longer has any need of it) but am unsure if that is possible, and if so, how to accomplish that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

oops... make that:

"<fullPathToAccess.EXE>" "<fullPathToMDBFile>" /wrkgrp "<FullPathToMDWFile>"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by WendellB on 26-Oct-04 20:54. Activate link - see Help)</P>Changing workgroups is done very easily for a single Access session using command-line parameters in the shortcut that is used to launch Access. The shortcut target should resemble:

<fullPathToAccess.EXE> <fullPathToMDBFile> <FullPathToMDWFile>

Changing the workgroup using the Workgroup Administrator is a hassle, and should be avoided (if that's what you are presently doing). You may find my security paper helpful http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It is also possible to run multiple databases from a single .MDW file - you just have to have a coherent set of user groups, and a comprehensive set of users. That does however tend to increase the maintenance activity on the .MDW file, and also make it more complex. In any event <!profile=jacksonmacd>jacksonmacd<!/profile> has shown a way to use two security files and select them at run time using the shortcut command line properties. You might also find our User Security Tutorial useful - it has links to a number of MSKB articles as well as Jack MacDonald's user security paper.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. That was very helpful!

I also appreciate the Access Security paper.