New Lounger
    Thanks

editing normal.dot (Word 2003)

I edited my normal.dot by renaming it normal1.dot, then deleting the original normal.dot, and renaming my normal1.dot to normal.dot. As a result I've lost my default autotext entries. I now realize that this is not the correct way to edit the normal.dot. I have 2 questions -- how can I restore the original normal & what is the best way to edit/change it to the defaults I want (& hold onto my autotext entries).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: editing normal.dot (Word 2003)

When you delete Normal.dot, Word creates a new one when you open Word. See if you can resurrect the old Normal.dot and open it. If it has the properties that you want, close Word and do a search on normal.dot and delete all of them (there will be more than one). Now using Explorer, rename the old one that has the properties that you bwant and move it to the directory where normal.dot was originally located.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The only normal.dot(s) I found were the one I created that does not have autotext entries (in my doc&settingsapplic data...etc. and another in the same place that is a TMP file of 1KB that can't be opened from Explorer. So I still need to create or find the original default or import the default autotext entries from some other place.

Thanks

Did you save Normal.dot as Normal1.dot because Word told you Normal.dot was in use and you could not save over it? This can happen when there are two sessions of Word running at the same time, or when multiple people share a Normal.dot template from a network folder. In either situation, it can be difficult to predict when you will be using the one you want to customize. It might be best to first figure out why Word wouldn't let you save directly, if that was the case. (If I'm confusing this with a different type of template editing, my apologies. It's not something I do with Normal.dot very often any more.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it did say that I could not save it as "normal.dot" because it already existed. Replacing it was not a choice. I've been editing normal.dot for years this way, but never lost my autotext entries before. It was not because there were two copies of Word running simultaneously.

Thanks

> It was not because there were two copies of Word running simultaneously.

You may already have accounted for this, but if Outlook was allowed to launch the running instance of Word, that might affect what you can do within that instance.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes! Thanks, Phil. Your directions worked perfectly. Note to JScher -- it could not have been the problem with Outlook as you suggest in your last post as my computer does not open Outlook (my bosses don't completely trust Microsoft, so most of us still use Eudora for e-mail).

By the way, when I am exiting Word I always get a pop-up saying that the macros are disabled. Is this correct? Is it just saying this because I'm exiting Word, or is there something that needs to be fixed?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<UL><LI>With Word closed, locate normal.dot & rename it to abnormal.dot.
    <LI>Start Word.
    <LI>Close Word. You will now have a new normal.dot. Save the changes, if it asks.
    <LI>Start Word & go to Tools/Templates & add-ins.../Organizer & click on Organizer. The dialog box will list the current document (Document 1) & normal.dot
    <LI>Click the close button on Document 1 & then browse for abnormal.dot.
    <LI>In the normal.dot column, on the Autotext tab, copy all the autotext from normal.dot to abnormal.dot.
    <LI>Answer "yes", if it asks if you want to overwrite.
    <LI>Close Word
    <LI>Locate & delete normal.dot
    <LI>Rename abnormal.dot to normal.dot[/list]Your default autotext entries should be back.

Go to Tools/Options/Save tab/ & check "prompt to save normal template". From now on, make a backup copy (or more than one) of normal.dot. Just locate it in Windows Explorer & press Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V & you'll have a backup copy. You can do this whenever you make any change to normal.dot (in case it doesn't work out). When you want to edit normal.dot, don't bother renaming it...just make a backup. As time goes on, you can delete the older backups.
    Cheers,