3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

jpg viewer (Outlook 2003)

Just upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003. Outlook seems to be working fine execpt when I receive an th a .jpg picture attached. When I click on the attachment, instead of opening or saving it, I get an error message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.". I had no problem with these attachments in Outlook 2000.

Thanks

Re: jpg viewer (Outlook 2003)

Is your default program to open JPG files the Office 2000 version of Photo Editor? Maybe the Office 2003 install failed to update or replace it? As a test, drag a JPG to the desktop and see if you can open it from there with a double-click.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I save the jpg attachment to my desktop and then double click on it, it will open. I am not at my home computer now so I do not remember specifically what application it opens in.

Thanks

Sorry, I should have said: right-click the JPG file on the desktop and choose Open. The default action on the desktop or any other Windows Explorer interface probably is "Preview," which is not the action used by Outlook.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I right click on the jpg on the desktop, I don't get an "open" but do get a "preview" which opens it in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. This has not changed since I updated from Office 2000 to Office 2003.

Thanks

To re-associate the JPG extension with the program of your choice, right-click and use Open With (hold the Shift key when right-clicking in ealier versions of Windows), chose the desired program for Outlook to use to open pictures, and check the box to always use that program. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of an easy way to use the previewer for this purpose, although there might be a way to do it if you prefer (certainly it's faster than waiting for Photo Editor to load).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't believe that is my problem. If I open the jpg file from my desktop, it opens. My problem is from within Outlook. If I right click on the attachment in Outlook, there is only "Open", not "Open with". By the error message in Outlook, it seems like Outlook thinks that a program associated with a jpg file is not installed. Other types of attachments seem all to open find inside Outlook.

Thanks

Does it Open or does it Preview? In my post, I was referring to right-clicking in Windows Explorer, not in Outlook; sorry I didn't make that clear. If it doesn't work, check the file association directly using Tools>Folder Options...>File Types>JPG.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Let me try this again. Outside of Outlook, I do not have a problem with the association of jpg files and programs. When I right click on a jpg file outside of Outlook, I can Preview, Edit, Open with, etc.

My problem is INSIDE Outlook 2003, when a jpg is an attachment to an email. When I double click on the jpg attachment, I get an error "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed". I don't know what "product" Outlook thinks is not currently installed. If I move that jpg attachment to my desktop, I can open it without problem.

I also have Outlook 2003 installed on my laptop computer. There I can clikc on jpg attachments in Outlook and they open without a problem. The only difference that I can think of is that Outlook 2003 was an upgrade installation on my desktop computer but a new installation on my notebook.

In any case, I am trying to find what in Outlook thinks that I dont' have some product installed and how to resolve that problem so that I can open jpg email attachments inside Outlook.

Thanks

I'll try one more time, too. See the attached. Note that I am not aware of any differences between Outlook 2002 (what I use) and Outlook 2003 (what you use) in this area; if there are such differences, my comment may be incorrect.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I apologize. I was misunderstanding your directions. In Explorer, I located a jpg file using Explorer, right clicked on it, choose Open With. The "trick" was to not pick one of the programs listed but pick "other program", then I got a box to check "always use this program". That fixed the problem in Outlook.
    Sorry about my confusion. Thank you very much for the help.