Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Wierd Wierd Paragraph Mark (2000/SR3)

Good Day All

I've come across a new one. My file (attached), contains only the five paragraphs quoted below, and exhibits trhe following behaviour:
    <UL><LI>When the cursor is placed at the beginning of the file and then moved to the beginning of the next paragraph down (Ctrl + down arrow), the cursor jumps to the paragraphs which begin with: "B", "i", then "ii". Skipping over the paragraph which starts with "C".
    <LI>When the cursor is placed at the end of the file and then moved to the beginning of the next paragraph up (Ctrl + up arrow), the cursor goes to the beginning of each paragraph in sequence--as normal.
    <LI>When the cursor is placed immediately to the left of the paragraph mark in the paragraph which starts with "B", and the "Delete" key is pressed; nothing happens.
    <LI>When the cursor is placed at the beginning of the paragraph which starts with "C" and the "Backspace" key is pressed the, the offending paragraph mark is deleted. With the file in this configuration everything seems to work well.
    <LI>Inserting a paragraph mark at the beginning of the last sentence in paragraph "B", has no detrimental effect.
    <LI>Reinserting a paragraph mark at the beginning of Paragraph "C" now causes the (Ctrl + down arrow) procedure works as advertised. But, the (Ctrl + up arrow) procedure causes the cursor to jump directly from the beginning of the paragraph below paragraph "C" to the beginning of the paragraph preceding paragraph "C".[/list]Has anyone come across a similar situation? Can anyone offer advice?

<hr>
    A The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    B The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    C The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    i. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    ii The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

<hr>
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    Don

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wierd Wierd Paragraph Mark (2000/SR3)

Looks to me as if the "weird" behaviour arises because at the end of the "B" paragraph there is a paragraph mark that has been deleted while track changes is on. If you flip to the view that shows mark-ups and accept that change (i.e. the deletion of the paragraph that was at the end of para [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] then the file works as one would expect: Ctrl-down arrow jumps A,B,C,i,ii.

This also explains why you cannot apparently delete the para mark at the end of B - 'cos it's not visible having already been zapped. At the end of B, therefore, there are two para marks: one deleted and one undeleted. Presumably you *can* delete the undeleted one by backspacing from C as that is the character immediately preceding C.

I will not be offended if the last sentence has not made sense to you - it is barely comprehensible to me!!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Ian
    Thank you twice; I always have had a problem with my ie, ei spelling. But more importantly, your insight into the current problem was right on the mark. Not only does it do the job, it explains EVERYTHING.
    Regards
    Don

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are most welcome. And I'm somewhat embarrassed as it was not my intention to point out the spelling error - I simply have a tendency to sprinkle quote marks around with gay abandon!
    Cheers
    Ian