5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating an Internet Printer (XP Pro SP2)

My laserjet printer is connected to my dsl router at home and has a network id assigned to it 192.168.1.102. I have tried setting up an ip port that seems to work if i use my wireless card configured to my wireless dsl router it works if i am at home using my home computer. But if i use say try it with a hotel computer 3 states away I cannot print to my home printer using this setup. Any changes i have to make or use special software to allow my printer to act like an internet printer/??
    Jerome

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating an Internet Printer (XP Pro SP2)

This IP-address is a local address only. It can only be seen within your home network. That explains why you can't see it 3 states away, it just doesnot exist outside your home. In order to setup an internet printer youw would need at least an public ip adres, but I am not sure you would like that everyone can print on your printer.
    Maybe you should print to a file and later copy that to your printer, when at home.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Eddy Thanks for the explanation, Out of curiousity is there a way of setting up a public internet printer address and then removing it or hiding it?
    Jerome

Star Lounger
    Thanks

First of all, you should persuade your ISP to give you a fixed IP-address. Depending on how you access the internet, phone, cable or DSL, your provider will give you a fixed ip-address or an address which changes everytime you connect or reset your modem.
    Next (and I copied this from http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3300/rh3348.htm) you need to seup an IIS server on your home computer.
    Any shared printer on the IIS server is made accessible to clients who have the IPP (Internet Printer Protocol) installed. Clients using Internet Explorer 4.01 and later, who have IPP support, can print to the Internet printers.

Windows 2000 has IPP support and it is available as an add-on for the W9x clients.

A client can browse the Internet printers using http://ServerName/Priners or http://ServerName.FQDN/printers.

When a client presses Connect, the server creates a .cab file that contains the appropriate device driver, if you installed it on the IIS server, and downloads the driver to ensure point-and-print functionality. If you didn't install the driver, and it is not already available on the client, they are prompted to install it.

After connecting, you can monitor and administer the printers from the Web client. This is controlled by ASP scripts, which are automatically created when the IIS server starts.

Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Eddy:
    Thanks my next call is to verizon.
    Regards
    Jerome