Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE and Blackboard (6)

My wife is running into problems with Explorer and possibly Win XP Pro. The university she attends uses "BlackBoard" for many classes. It's like a BBS system for the students so the teachers can send them assignments or, like my wife did last night, they can even give quizzes and exams. The problem is that when she logs onto Blackboard, the screen loads, then it is blanked out. This just started late last week and I have loaded no new software at that time. She has her own log-in profile, as do both my kids and myself. The same thing happens on the kid's profile when I experimented there, but DOES NOT occur on mine. Other web sites appear to work just fine. I have deleted their profiles, then created new ones, but it still does this. My wife needs access to this for her class. Does anyone have any idea(s) on what is going on? I don't know if this is an IE or Win XP problem or both. As far as I can tell, I have SP 1, but not SP 2.

Thanks

Re: IE and Blackboard (6)

Does the software vendor's web site have a FAQ or support section? Presumably it uses JavaScript or Java or ActiveX for interactivity, and it may be malfunctioning in some critical way.

Is there any difference between your profiles with respect to privacy software, either a firewall or something like the Norton product that can selectively block cookies and historical information? If so, you might try to set that program to "trust" the blackboard site and see if that helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just went there, but found no information to enlighten things.

No differences that I know of. I installed ZoneAlarm yesterday thinking (once I clean out any adware/malware/spyware and doing the antiviral screen to make sure I stayed clean) but it still happened. I got hit with a trojan horse that was using the JPG flaw (which I patched last night), but this was on Saturday, which is after the problems started to occur, according to my wife. I use Norton AV, but I don't think I have their firewall set up. How would I set it to 'trust it" if that is the case?

Thanks

I don't know of anywhere in Norton AV to set trusted sites , however, you might try to set IE to include that site as a "trusted site".

Go to IE>options>security>trusted sites>sites, then add the address of the site you want to include there.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You have stated that the "Other Profiles" do not work. Are these the Windows 98/Me type of profiles or are they Windows XP user accounts?

If XP User accounts are you logging off and then logging in as the next user or are you using "Switch User"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

If you have Norton Antivirus only, and not one of the suites (like Norton Internet Security), then you probably do not have the privacy product and you can ignore that comment.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA: they are Windows XP user accounts. 4 total (one for each member ofg teh family so my son doesn;t have to look at his sister's Barbie wallpaper..[img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
    we normally do the log off. On rare occasions I will do the quick Switch User. Would that have an effect on things?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would check the Java settings in EACH account and also the security setting in IE of EACH account. Delete the cookies and internet temp files from EACH account. Are any of these accounts "Limited" as this will block their access to some sites?

If you are using the Microsoft Java engine I would down load and install the Sun versions.

Yes, Switch user can create some problems.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

none are limited accounts, ran into other problems when I did that

Will check the settings and such and let you know how it turns out

Says I Have Java Runtime environment, SE v1.4.2 AND SE v1.4.2_05 Do I need both? is this Sun or MS?

What problems does using switch user create?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You have the Sun version, and yes keep both.

As for Switch user, when this is done ALL open processes, programs and data of the current user are copied to disk, then the new user account is opened. All of the other users data and settings are flagged as being in use. So if the new user tries to open a file that the other has open, it can be opened in the READ only mode.
    I have also found based on how much was copied to disk, it may take a long to to recopy the data and etc when switched back to the other user. Then the second user is still logged in but not in use, so if you were to shut down and and power back on the other user is still in the "Switch out" mode. It can get very confusing when doing this with several accounts.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I did everything and the problem still remains. DO I use my restore disc or re-install Win XP Pro? Anyone have any other ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What kind of internet software do you have running, such as pop-up blockers, script blockers,and etc?

Since it works with one account but not others I do noe see a rebuild at this time.

Try making a NEW USER account, log out and log in as the new user and see if you have the same problem. I do this all the time just to test out to see it I messed up any settings. I then will delete the account and ALL files option when I prove this action one way or the other.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did that several times and every profile had the web pgaed being blanked out. I used Ad-Aware and Pest Patrol to remove any malwares loaded on and still did not fix it. So, last night I bit the bullet and re-installed Win XP, and now she can access Blackboard via the NKU website. Only problem now is that my Norton AV CD won;t install and I am getting no sound, even though Win says the drivers are loaded. Oh well, trading one problenm for another........