Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Graphics (2002)

I have a Word file which has images that were created in Word 2000, when I take this file to Word 2002 I get a red cross in place of the pictures. Can anyone tell me why this is happening as there are alot of images in this document.

Thanks

Re: Missing Graphics (2002)

Are the pictures embedded or linked? When you press Alt+F9, do the pictures change into field codes? If so, could you post an example? Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't create this document myself someone else did, not sure whether they were linked or imported. The images were saved as tif files, we think, but the person does understand about the image formats. The images have always worked in Word 2000, but since they converted to Word 2002, when the file is opened in Word 2002 the images do not appear. When I pressed Alt+F9 nothing happened then I did it again and I got a solid black square. Do you know if this is a common problem with graphics in Word 2002? Do you know if there is any information about troubleshooting images in Word 2002? Would really apprepriate any help given!! Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have read this article. I did look at the solutions but these did not work. I know the solution would be to reinsert the images, but there are alot of images to have to do them individually. Any suggestions as to how I could fix this problem. Also, have a couple of documents that have the same problem, that's why I am looking for an easy fix.

Thanks

It sounds as though that PC just isn't up to the task of handling all the images. Or maybe that the document has become corrupted?

Saving as RTF often helps corrupted documents, but because images are represented in an incredibly inefficient manner in RTF files, this may create an impractically large file. You could try it. Save as RTF. Close document. Open the RTF version and Save As (a new) DOC. Does it behave any better?

For more thorough rebuilding, you can use File>Save As Web Page to coax Word into exporting out all the images to a folder. The best format for screen displays and other computer-based images probably is PNG: it has the clarity of a 24-bit BMP file, but is highly compressed. For digital photographs that need to represent millions of colors, JPG is the most efficient and, at modest compression levels, will not lose much quality compared with TIFF. Anyway, I'm not sure what Word will convert the images to. The point of exporting them is to enable you to rebuild the document if necessary. Assuming Word does what it usually does and exports them in the order they appear, it may be a simple drag-and-drop operation to insert the pictures in place of the old ones.

Last but not least, the file format of Word 2002 is basically identical to Word 2000. If someone did a "conversion" that saved it in a new format, see if you can get the original document and open it afresh.