New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Sync Folders

I am looking for this utility, which seems to have been withdrawn by Microsoft.
    I need to synchronise my work and home machines, running Win2000 and Office 2000, using a Zip disk.
    Any help is welcome
    Thank you

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Sync Folders

it was never released from beta. the easiest way is to copy the pst to the zip. it's better to manually move folders if you only need certain ones, instead of import/export. Also, if you know you only need specific items, they can be drag and dropped to the disk as individual files then dropped into the pst on the other machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'm aware of these possibilities, but was hoping to be able to synchronise (advantages: don't have to religously copy pst back and forth each day; don't have to keep tabs on which items have been copied, and so on...).
    Seems I'm out of luck!
    Thanks for prompt reply, anyway
    LD

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the best you can do is one of the online services. fusionone or visto are two popular ones.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mary!
    LD

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a similar challenge. I'm trying to use both a desktop and a laptop, but syncing seems to be my nemesis.

BTW, on the topic of syncing, I'm familiar with Notes where it's fairly sophisticated. Emails that are moved to files are similarly moved. Emails that are deleted are also deleted. And emails that are only on one machine are copied onto the other. Is that how it works in Outlook 2k? Or am I asking too much?

Also, I've begun to use Outlook the way I used to use Notes. I keep everything there, including attachments. Can the database handle this size, or should I archive? Is the search tool sufficient, or should I get a 3rd party's?

Thanks in advance for all of the advice!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

what server are you using?

exchange server in offline mode works like notes. using psts and your isp mail server does not. it's a function of the server, not outlook.

psts have a limit of 2gig. you can use multiple psts and move older mail out for longer term storage.

the archive tool is acceptable, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.slipstick.com>http://www.slipstick.com</A> lists others. i do it manually, moving old items to psts based on projects or time period.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm not using a server. Both PCs are currently standalones, with a DSL connection to the Net. I'll probably network them soon, but I don't expect to install an Exchange server in my home office!

BTW, it's not clear to me that I can use Visto, etc to upload my Outlook Mail and then sync it if I were to use that option... Help !

--Frank

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

visto does appt etc, but i'm not sure on mail. fusionone does mail on their pay plan. i haven't tried it though.

my cell phone service has a sync utility but it creates duplicates, which is the problem MS had with their utility. i understand the new sync software for palms does very well. but it only syncs between palms and outlook, not two outlooks.