New Lounger
    Thanks

Radar Charts (2000/2003)

I have a set of data in three columns that I have been informed needs to be displayed in a Radar Chart.

Example:

Item Scheduled Completed
    I1 10 8
    I2 6 1
    I3 8 3

I am not an expert in radar charts, so I highlighted the three columns, and selected "Radar Chart," but the result was not what I was expecting. What am I missing?

Thanks,

wallygator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Radar Charts (2000/2003)

Since we don't know what you were expecting, it is impossible to answer your question.

Thanks

I agree with Hans' comment.

I would expect that the first column are the "axes labels"
    The second column is the first series of values (scheduled)
    The third column is the second series of values.(complete)

When I highlight and plot, it gives me exactly that.

Can you describe what you want the chart to look like?

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Beside clarity in my questions, it appears that my other problem is I cannot get Excel to give me different lengths on my axis. When I normalize the data and create a radar graph using only 2 columns (label and normalized column), I get the expected result.

wallygator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I still don't understand what you want. Do you want different scales for the I1, I2 and I3 axes? As far as I know, that is not possible. Or do you want different scales for the two series? You can accomplish that by specifying that one of the series be plotted on the secondary axis (select series, select Format | Selected Series..., activate Axes tab, click Secondary Axis)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would suggest you ask whoever told you this data should be in a radar chart what they expect that radar chart to look like. Better to get it from that person than for you to try to guess what that person is thinking (experience has taught me this!).

Then, if they expected each item to have a different scale (10 for I1, 6 for I2, and 8 for I3), you can explain to them that Excel isn't capable of providing such results, and the experts you've consulted support this statement.

Thanks

[quote] that Excel isn't capable of providing such results, and the experts you've consulted support this statement. [quote]

I may not be an expert, but excel is "capable", but not capable in a direct manner (ie using a "Radar Chart") you would have to use an XY scatter as a "drawing tool" but it could be done with some "playing" thoug;h it would not be completely generic and it would take some upfront work to create it (it would not be "trivial")

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I certainly hope you didn't think I was trying to call myself an expert. And I realized that there was likely a (tedious, non-trivial) workaround...

That said, wallygator may wish to try going here and see if that helps to give him his expected results. As I have never had cause to use radar charts, I can't say that it will help or not, but it looks like it may be a good starting point.

- Brett

New Lounger
    Thanks

This info in the link was what I was looking for - I was hoping Excel would have this functionality built it, but it does not. The solution that I used was to normalize the data to percentages and graphing that, which went over well; however, following the executive briefing, I was told to change it to bar graphs.

Thanks to all for the assistance!!!

wallygator