Lounger
    Thanks

Failed Find using Range (Excel 2003)

I have some strange behaviour in a Find command using a range. The command is:-

Set rng = Worksheets("Cust_Det").Range("A2:A500").Find(What: =GetSalesArea$, _
    LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= _
    False, SearchFormat:=False)
    StartRowNo = rng.Row

If the cell containing the data required is in the top half (roughly) of the range, the Find works OK, but if it is lower down, it produces an error. In debug, rng = Nothing and rng.Row shows (unsurprisingly) 'Object variable not set'.

I can get round this by looping through the cells to find the target, but I'm just interested to know why this happens. Incidentally, if I sort the target rows in reverse, the behaviour is the same. The targets that were found before now cause an error (because they're in the lower half), and the ones that failed are found.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks

Re: Failed Find using Range (Excel 2003)

Hi Mike,
    Can you post a sample workbook that demonstrates the problem?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Failed Find using Range (Excel 2003)

Hello Rory,

The original workbook had a lot of financial information in it and I'm embarrassed to say that, in creating a dummy one to post, I discovered the problem.

I'd mis-typed the cell range, resulting in it being shorter than intended, which explains why it only found cells in the top half!

Sorry to have wasted your time with this one, but many thanks for responding.

Regards,

Mike