New Lounger
    Thanks

Autotext in Word 2002 (Word 2002)

Help, I am new to Word. I am having trouble creating paragraph files as autotext entries. These paragraph files have fill-ins and have styles applied that I built. The longest paragraph is a 3 meduim sized sentences. Some entries are recorded fine. I am having them places in all active templates. Others put Word into a non-responsive state where I use the task manager to close the app. I can't find a reason for this behavior.

Thanks

Re: Autotext in Word 2002 (Word 2002)

The term "files" has me confused. Can you describe how you are saving the AutoText entries? The simplest way is to select the paragraph (including, if appropriate, the end-of-paragraph mark) and use Insert>AutoText>AutoText..., use the Look in drop-down to specify the template to save in, give it a name in the top combo box, and then click Add. (You also will have to save the template at some point.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

The word 'files' is borrowed from my users. The method you described is similar the method I was using.
    There are so many paragraphs to be selected, I added the autotext toolbar and am using it once I have selected the text. I am including the end of paragraph mark.
    I thought by leaving the default in the lookin droptown as 'all active templates', the autotext would be added to normal and any other template in an open window.

Thanks

I don't know where they'll end up if you keep "All Active Templates," but I'm fairly certain it will be only one of the open templates. (Word has rules for choosing among duplicate entries with identical names, but I don't think it purposely creates them.)

Added: I realize we've gotten away from the "crashing" problem. If you can find one or two in particular that create the problem, maybe you could attach a Word document with just those paragraphs?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am attaching a small file. The Paragraph subb was saved in auto text; subc was not. No fill-ins in either selection. Style was modified to suit the attorneys.

If I am having trouble with this part, will I have problems using Organizer to move the autotext to the final template?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I can't seem to replicate the problem. I'm using Word 2002 updated to SP3.

I have no reason to think you'll have problems copying these (or any other) AutoText entries with the Organizer.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I have Word 2000, but I couldn't find any problems with your attachment either. If Word continues to crash, I'd go through the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.

A couple of other points. When you see the phrase in a dialog box "All active templates & documents" or "All active templates", that's Words euphemism for normal.dot. So your autotext entries will be placed in normal.dot. That is generally not a good place for them. It is better to create a custom template & place in the startup folder. If you're on a network, you can place a shortcut to the custom template in everyone's startup folder, but keep the actual template in a place where only you have rights to modify. There are many reasons why this would be a better approach. It allows each person to have their own normal.dot (that they can modify) & a custom template is less prone to virus attacks.

Next, the easiest way to add autotext entries to the same template is using a keyboard shortcut. Assuming that you decide to create a custom template, do the following:
    1. Open your custom template.
    2. Go to Insert/Autotext.../Autotext to bring up the dialog box.
    3. Change the dropdown Look in box to your custom template.
    4. Select each paragraph in turn & press Alt+F3. This brings up a dialog box that will let you name the entry. It will be saved in whatever was last set in the Look in box in the Insert/Autotext dialog box. That's why I had you change it in step 3.

I think you'll find this will go faster than using the toolbar. One other thing. You can divide the autotext entries into a category by creating them in the same unique style.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Frustration continues. I have using a dell percision m60 with and intel pentium 1.6 gh processos and 2 gb ram to run word 2004 sp3. I have reworked everything. Followed the suggestions. I have created a template of my own with the boilerplate in the first 2 pages followed by the autotext. I can not add n35a to the list of autotext. These entries are boiler plate for an answer and new matter to a tort. There are something over 100 entries to be used in total; all with at least one fill-in. Is there a limit to the number of Autotext entries that can be attached to a template? Or a size limit to the template file itself?

If this ever works, it will be posted to a secured shared drive where only 2 of us can update the file. For the users, we have updated the workgroup templates to reference the shared file. While I am developing I am working locally from the templates area default on my hard drive. I had to send this as a doc since dot was rejected.

Thanks

To answer just the latter part, Word does have some (very loose) limits on AutoText: Operating parameter limitations and specifications in Word (for Word 2000, 2002, 2003) {alternate link <!mskb=211489>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 211489<!/mskb>}

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Although there are size limits in Word, I don't know what limit you may have reached. Is your document or template >32MB? I was able (in Word 2000) to create some of your autotext entries by:
    1. Creating & attaching a custom template to your sample document.
    2. Selecting the first entry (n32a), and going to Insert/Autotext/Autotext....
    3. Then I changed the look in to my custom template (here called Copy of Clean.dot).
    4. I added the autotext entry, n35a.
    5. I selected the next autotext entry, pressed Alt+F3, & named it n35b. I repeated this step for a couple more autotext entries.
    6. I closed & saved the template.

When I create a new document based on "copy of clean.dot", it has the autotext entries in it. See the attached template.