Lounger
    Thanks

Active Desktop Recovery (windows xp (sp1))

Why do I continually get the message to restore my active desktop? It's deemed that an error has been found, but I have changed none of the ensuing options to make it appear.
    As an aside, my computer has been pretty quirky since SP2 tried, and failed, to download. It was an auto update, and I don't want it, but how do I resolve this conflict?
    Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Active Desktop Recovery (windows xp (sp1))

1. The file Desktop.htt in your user profile is damaged. Go to
    Cocuments and Settings< your username >Application DataMicrosoftInternet Explorer
    and rename Desktop.htt. Internet Explorer will create a new one. Make sure you can see hidden and system files and file extensions (in My Computer or Windows Explorer click Tools | Folder Options and then View tab).

2. Download Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, if you have fast Internet connection, from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en.
    Or, if you have not, order CD from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx - it is free.
    Then apply SP-2 to your computer.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    I'm stuck after opening IE folder. There is nothing there with desktop.htt, nor did I find anything in search. Folder shows my screen saver, quick launch and a brndlog.bak file. Although when I did go into tools/folder options, I unchecked hide ext for known file types. Also, have already ordered and awaiting sp2 CD.
    What am I doing wrong? I lean more on the novice, rather than advanced, user. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try disabling the Active Desktop and see if this will clear tings up. If you use "Active Desktop" you them may want to turn it back on and give it another try.

To disable the Active Desktop, right-click an empty area on the desktop, point to Active Desktop, and then click View As Web Page to clear the check mark

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

I wasn't even aware that I was "using" active desktop. When I click on the desktop, my only options are: arrange icons by; refresh; new; properties. When I go into properties, desktop, customize, web, there is only the "My Current Home Page" box, which is unchecked.
    So how do I find "Active Desktop?" Search didn't elicit a folder.
    Help! Getting frustrated, as when I click on a desktop icon, sometimes the MS error message comes up that it will have to close, but a second click will open the icon.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you post a screenshot of that please, Dave? I don't find it on mine either and I DO have the Desktop.htt file.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 30-Oct-04 14:33. To add attachment)</P>OK, try turning it on by adding a check mark in the box, reboot and then turn it back off by removing the check mark and try another reboot.
    Sometimes things may need a kick start, and this may do it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Dave,
    Sorry, that didn't work either. However, I deleted my animated desktop background and my screen saver I downloaded, thinking that may help. Still, I do think my desktop IS damaged somehow, since I don't have the desktop.htt file. How do I find it or get it back?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 30-Oct-04 18:19. Added a "f" to the shortcut to the seach command.)</P>It may be a system file, have you turned on the "Show hidden files" and show "System Files" in the options of Windows Explorer?

The a "Search" (Windows key+f) on desktop.htt and see if you can find it now. My system has one for each account at "Cocuments and Settings"User account name"Application DataMicrosoftInternet Explorer/

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, show hidden files & folders has always been checked. When doing a search, NOTHING comes up for desktop.htt. There is also nothing in my folders with that name. I have no clue what's happened, but I know that my desktop has been acting weird and I can no longer update my website w/FrontPage. MS Error says a web component is missing. I'm beyond frustrated; I'm resigned.
    I appreciate all your assistance. I can live with it, but I wish I could fix it!
    Thanks again!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As kaplinb mentioned in his earlier post, hidden AND system files...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ok, I opened these files and they are all the file that is selected as my WALL.PAPER. Richgt click the dekstop, and then Properties. Now select the "Desktop Tab" and change the wallpaper.
    Hope this works.

Lounger
    Thanks

I noticed the box "hide protected operating files(recommended) is unchecked ithe sample GIF you sent me. When I tried unchecking it, it told me that these files are required to start and run windows. Deleting/editing them can make my computer inoperable and then asked if I wanted to display these files?
    Is that what I want to do and what overall impact will it have?

Thanks

It basically means you are deciding what you see, rather than Windows trying to protect you from yourself. As long as you tread carefully and don't do anything without thinking twice, you should be fine. Selecting the option to display them in itself is not going to cause any harm, and once you have done what you want to do, you can easily hide them again.