Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstalling IE (IE6/SP1)

Hi,

I am having a problem with my computer. Every time I start Internet Explorer it just closes itself automatically, and sometimes shows a message about IE experiencing a problem and having to close. (I am using Netscape to write this). So I think the best thing to do is uninstall it and then reinstall it. However, on my program list in the control panel IE is not listed and there is no uninstall program in Windows Explorer. I have tried unistalling Office but that has not removed it.

Any ideas on how can I uninstall it?

Thanks, Laurie

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Uninstalling IE (IE6/SP1)

Hi Laurie

Do you have Windows XP? If so then check How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

With other versions of Windows you should be given the option to re-install if you run the IE setup program. If necessary you can obtain IE from the MS download center

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your tip. I followed the instructions in the article and have reinstalled Windows. But I am still experiencing the same problem. Any other ideas?

I am using Windows XP.

Thanks, Laurie

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Laurie

Not sure what is causing this but a possibility is spyware. Try running AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, links available in <post#=296439>post 296439</post#>. Before running them make sure you update their definition files.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this.

From reading the various posts it and Microsoft articles it appears I definitely have some malware which has infected the registry.

I think my easiest solution is going to be to reinstall Windows.

Thanks again, Laurie

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This procedure came in a publication by Smart Computing magazine "Windows A to Z" (summer 2003)
    Open Window Explorer, navigate to Windows folder, then to the "inf" folder. In the INF folder is a file named "sysoc.inf" Double click this file to open it and search for a line labelled
    msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
    Remove the ' hide' and the trailing comma, then save the file. Now click Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Select Add/Remove' Windows components' and both IE and Windows Messenger will be visible. Mark the corresponding checkbox, then click to uninstall.

You may not be able to find the "inf" folder. If that is the case , open Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, and look for " Hidden Files and Folders" and put a bullet in the "Show hidden files" Then go back and try the above sequence again.

Good luck,.