3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Desktop Web Connection (WinXP Pro)

Does anyone have the instructions on how to set up WinXP Pro's Remote Desktop Web Connection? I am able to connect the computers within my LAN but I cannot use the remote client to connect to the machine in my office. The office LAN is behind a LinkSys router.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection (WinXP Pro)

See <!mskb=284931>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 284931<!/mskb>.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Thanks for the help. I still cannot connect to the Remote machine in the office even after following these instructions faithfully. According to Microsoft's instructions, I should "type the following URL in a client computer's Internet browser, where servername is the name of your server:
    http://servername/tsweb". What I don't understand is if my servername is call Rogers, there must be hundreds of Rogers on the net and how my client machine realizes which Rogers is the one that it should connect to?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your system called Rogers is on a private network then you will need to arrange some way for Internet users to connect to it. Typically you will need to:
    <UL><LI>Get your ISP to assign a static IP address for you to connect to
    <LI>Register a DNS name that points to your static IP address - e.g. Rogers.co.uk (unless you're prepared to type the IP address instead of the host name)
    <LI>Configure your firewall (you do have a firewall don't you?) to allow packets to that address to be routed to Rogers[/list]Alternatively you might configure incoming VPN access, so that the two computers appear to be on the same private network, and you can just use the name Rogers, but you'd still need the static IP address and DNS name for connecting to the VPN end point.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, it works just as you described.

I have also found a program called realVNC that can act as both a server and a client on Windows (not necessary XP) machines for remote computing.

Thanks again.