Thanks

VB6 Controls (VB6)

Update:

I found that the situation described below is cured by deleting and re-inserting the ocx into the form...

But: new isue, same project:

Once I delete the ocx, it is (obviously) not available as a project component.

But it still shows up as available (after exiting VB6 and re-starting). How do I remove the nonexistent control from the list of available controls?

?

CB

In working throught the lessons, I had to create an OCX control, and a "Test.exe" for, testing.

Then I was instructed to open both simultaneously, and save them as a group.

So far so good.

Then, with the group open, I did some re-sizing of the ocx control. When I switched to the Test.exe, the control, although there (visible), was inaccessible. It was grayed out, with "slanted lines" drawwn through it..

How come? There was no indiciation of or for this, no warning, no error message.

When I exit and come back in, all is well. But I can recreate it. And then exit again etc...

What is causing this?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VB6 Controls (VB6)

Right click the Toolbox.
    Click Components...
    Clear the check box for your ActiveX control.
    Click OK.

Thanks

Hans:

That part I had seen... But it is showing *three* instances of the same ocx with the same name... And I can find only one anywhere on the drive. In addition, I keep receiving error messages that the ctl unavailable...

AND, when I went to run the install (fix wrong, missing, damaged etc. files) I get a message that VB6 is already installed, and therefore....

This all started because, as I built the project that included the ctl etc., I kept coming up with conflicts, errors, etc. , so I started looking around for the location of different files and/or entries.

I never did figure where the entries for the Project/Components entry comes from. Found several registry entries, but no apparent triplicates of the same file...

??

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You may have registered the ActiveX control several times; see if you can uninstall it in the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

As far as your project is concerned, if you select the control in the Project Explorer, you can remove it using Project | Remove <name.ctl>. You can also look at the .vbp project file directly using Notepad or another text editor. Each non-standard component will have a line in this file; you can remove the offending line(s).

Thanks

Hans:

The attached is the code for this project.

I uninstalled VB6, and re-installed VB6. Then I re-built the project.

If I run the TestActX alone, it runs fine. If I open both TestActX and MyActX (the ctl) together, when I then run TestActX, it does not run the same... instead of just running, it loads into IExplorer.

Is this the way it's supposed to work? Why does it work differently if one proj is open, as opposed to running it with both open at the same time?

Arrrrrg.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The control MyActX is set as the startup project in the group. You should set TestActX as startup instead. To do this, open the group, then right-click Project1 (TestActX.vbp) in the Project Explorer. Select 'Set as StartUp' from the popup menu. If you then click Run, the test project should start.

Thanks

Hans:

I apologize... in the flurry of recent activity, and my novice-status, I totally blew it.

That did it. Thanks for the assist.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Thanks

Hans:

In Hindsight... I never did find and Add/Remove item for the Project Components. Nor did I find any duplicate mention in the registry, or any duplicate file...

I uninstalled (as mentioned) and re-installed VB6, so the traces are gone... but since I don't know and didn't find any trace, I'm not sure, and of course uneasy, as to what did cause the duplications, because it could easily re-occur.

Oh well....

Chuck