Silver Lounger
    Thanks

IF/Than in append query (2002)

Hi!

This one is way outta my league and I need advice before I spend hours trying to figure out the best approach. I have a temporary table that stores data and which would need to be appended to a similar table that is being used as a history table. The temporary table may be used multiple times during the day by different people. The temporary table imports information from Excel. The data will often times repeat itself as well as contain new data. There is an [ID] in the temporary table however it will change each time the data is imported so it can't realistically be used to be sure duplicate data is not entered into the history table. The goal is to enter distinct data into the history table. [clientname] and [care_date] when used together would be distinct. If I use "not in [SELECT DISTINCT]....." for either of these rows, then data gets eliminated that should not. It is the combination of these two fields together that will set up the correct distinct scenerio. Is it even possible to do that and if so how do I do it??

Thanks,
    Leesah

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IF/Than in append query (2002)

Make an append query like you see in the attachment. Link all fields to each other except the ID field form the destination table (History table).
    Make all relations between the fields showing All Records from the Append From Tables (Temp Table).
    Add the Id from the history table to the query and add a condition Is Null.
    This should do it.
    Francois

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi!

Well I'm psyched there is a way to do this! I "think" I set up the query like the example but nothing is going into the history table. The history table is now empty. I emptied it to be sure data was going in and then not replicated each time I ran the query. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. The table should update with records except when the [care_date] AND [clientname] are the same.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe my names in my sample were not very clear.
    You tried to append the history table to the other.
    If you only care about client name and care date you have only to set the relations on these two fields.
    Here your modified db.
    Francois

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

WOW! That is so wonderful. Thanks Francois!

Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Back again. I tried duplicating this process to the attached query and it's not working. The history table seems to be adding records X 3 ---- for each of the fields that I have linked. In this scenerio, records with the same [employeename], [sub_skill] and [care_date] should not be duplicated in the history table. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks,
    Leesha

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If your temporary table contains duplicate records then you need to write another query that selects the unique records you want to append, then use this query as part of the append query rather than the temp table.

The problem is that the decision about what to append is not made line by line as each line is processed. Instead the records to append are selected fromthe state of the tables at the start of the process.
    Regards
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Check the differences between your query and the one I amended.

On downloading Francois's example he shows you what to do. Your problem in the query you have is that you are using the History.ID to test for null and to setup this field in the history field as well.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! The temp table was not supposed to have duplicate records unless the times were different on the care date. I hadn't picked up on this while testing. Thanks so much!

Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pat,

Having a separate example to look at helped me to understand what I was missing. I've just duplicated it in a third table without any problems.

Thanks!
    Leesha