Thread: Data Transfer

Lounger
    Thanks

Data Transfer

Hello, I am inquiring about whether I can transfer an image of my PC to my laptop. I have a PC that is set up with library program and want to transfer it all to a laptop without having to reformat, reload everything. The library has over 2000 entries and if I format/reload I will have to manually input the data again. (I know, poor program, but it is what we could afford at the time.) Is there anyway to make an image of the current hard drive on the PC and load it on to the laptop? This would be my first shot at doing something like this and would like to do it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Data Transfer

There are many tools available to image a PC. However, there are legal issues with software licensing about having softwre installed on mulitple PCs concurrently. Plus, if you are running WindowsXP it is tied to the PC it is installed upon and can't be moved.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Oh...I do understand about not wanting to run the software on multiple computers. I am wanting to move the data to a laptop because of the ease in mobility from our secure room and the actual library. The main reason for this move is because the mouse will not work on the curent system. I have tried everything that I and others in several forums can think of in getting it running, but to no avail. That is why we need to move the contents and it just seems most expedicious to move it to a laptop...if possible. Will any/all of the imaging software available be able to copy and move it, or do I need a certain one? Oh, BTW, I am running Win 98 (I think SE) on the subject computer.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Many Loungers like Acronis True Image. There are others that you could find by searching Google. As long as the product documentation says it is Win98 compatible you should be OK.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"move the data to a laptop "
    What about the program that is used to access this data, can you install it on the laptop and then copy the data over?
    If NOT, then how do you expect to get all of the "Windows" hooks to the different settings in the Windows Folders and registry settings?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.