2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

bookmarking (VB/Office2000 Word 2000)

Hi there,

I need to add a bookmark to a document which won't ever change its position, even after users have added their text to the document. Does anyone know if that's possible and, if so, could you tell me how to do so?

Many thanks,

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: bookmarking (VB/Office2000 Word 2000)

Unless the document is protected, users can always move, even delete a bookmark. The page header or footer might be a slightly safer location than the main document.
    Can you tell us what you want to do with the bookmark? There may be alternative ways to accomplish the same purpose.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not even sure what you mean by "won't ever change its position". Do you mean will always bracket (e.g.) characters 214 to 217, regardless of what text is inserted or deleted before that? Or maybe will always bracket the same characters, even if they are deleted along with the entire paragraph that used to contain them?

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

What I need to do is add text to a letter template which will then print off on the the letterhead we'd send our letters out on so that clients know we're moving our office location in London and can update their records. I can't use the header area as putting the text there would clash with the graphics etc already on the letterhead. I can't use the footer either as the footer contains document information. When we print our letters we use a 'printletter' macro which prints both a letterhead and draft copy of our document. During the letterhead print the document information in the footer of the template is hidden so I can't put this new text into the footer as it would just be hidden. I thought if there was a way to give a bookmark an absolute position on a page, then no matter how much other text users added, it would always stay in the required position. Any other ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds to me like you could do this with a text box, anchored in the header but positioned on the main page.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that's the perfect solution - it's never the simple solution that occurs to me straight away!!!

Many thanks.

Violet