Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Do Rules Work? (2003)

I have used Outlook 98 for years, but I recently migrated to 2003. In OL98 I was not really all that surprised that the rules did not work perfectly. But, five years have passed and MS should have had plenty of time to make this simple sounding function work with an exact precision.

But, I find myself creating rules over and over again -- and they don't seem to stick. The image show a (9) after langalist. Why? Because I have created this same rule 8 previous times -- and it still doesn't stick!

Is there a way to order the rules so that perhaps I can make some rule run before others? Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Do Rules Work? (2003)

Regarding your last question, there are "Move Up" & "Move Down" buttons on the Rules dialog to set the order of the Rule priority; see attached graphic.

Regarding Rules not working, you have not given enough detail about either the Rule or if there is any message when you try to set the Rule. One common reason for Rule failure is conflicts in Rules, which can sometimes be overcome by setting "Stop processing more rules" for certain Rules.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Do Rules Work? (2003)

I guess that is it. The "Stop processing more rules" is NOT on by default, but in my book it should be! If I create a rule and I place it higher on the list, it should be followed. Anything beneath it should be ignored. The process for setting that is also not simple! I have a lot of rules, and ALL of them need the "stop processing" flag set... [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] Not a great design.