New Lounger
    Thanks

bookmarks won't work (OL2000)

With frontpage, I make an htm page, with bookmarks and links. That works, also in IE. But when I copy this file (select all) to an outlook e-mail, the bookmarks and links don't work any more. Any suggestions? Thanks, Marc

Thanks

Re: bookmarks won't work (OL2000)

Do you mean they don't work for you when you try them in the unsent message, or they don't work for the recipient?

If the former, check this thread from September.

Thanks

Has the page been published to the web yet? If not, all of the links and bookmarks are pointing to local files on your hard drive. The easiest way to do this is to first publish the page, then open the page with IE and then select File>Send>Page by E-Mail...
    This will put the page (complete with links and bookmarks) into the body of your e-mail.

Edited to add: This will only work of course if your recipient allows html messages.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Neither. When I copy and paste them, the links stop working. And after sending the e-mail, I hear that the links don't work.

Thanks

Marc,
    Let me repeat. If you are creating a page with FrontPage, then selecting the page, copying and pasting it into an Outlook message, your links and bookmarks will NOT work. As I said previously, you have to first publish the page to the web, then open the page with IE and then select File>Send>Page by E-Mail...
    This will put the page (complete with functioning links and bookmarks) into the body of your e-mail

Edited to Add: Sorry - one piece of misinformation in the above. Links to other live sites WILL work (eg. a link to www.whateversite.com) using the copy and paste method, but bookmarks will not. When you look at the message BEFORE you send it, external links appear not to function. Once sent, they will work.
    John

Thanks

Instead of copying, try this. Save your HTML file somewhere convenient. Create a blank HTML message in Outlook and click in the body. Use Insert>File... and navigate to your HTML file. Now, there should be a drop-down next to the Insert button that lets you choose "Insert as Text." This will embed the FrontPage-created HTML into Outlook's HTML. Sometimes stuff in the <HEAD> section (e.g., <STYLE> section) gets lost this way, sometimes not, I never bothered to figure out the pattern. Does this preserve the bookmarks?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am half way, but part of the problem remains. Maybe I have to explain it better. I send a newsletter in html, with both links to external websites and bookmarks at the top that refer to text further down. These bookmarks don't work properly.
    At your suggestion, I published the letter on a section my homepage. There, the bookmarks work fine. But if I send the letter from IE (with send, send as e-mail), the receiver gets a mail in which all the links refer to the sections of my newsletter as published on my webpage, or to other web links (so this last part is finally working, thanks to your help). But I would like the receiver to be able to click the internal bookmarks without having to connect to the internet.
    BTW, when I look at the properties of the bookmarks in the newsletter as published on the website, these have a full url, instead of a bookmark address (#NAME) as in Frontpage. I am right to think that here is (part of) the problem?
    Hope you can help me further. Thanks for bringing me this far, Marc

Thanks

No, your problem is completely solved (but not the way you want it). Your recipient CANNOT click on the bookmarks without connecting. You are absolutely correct when you say that the bookmark properties indicate a full URL, and if you look closely, you will see that the URL points to the same page and to the particular bookmark(s) on that page. A bookmark is just a variation of a regular hyperlink. The only difference between a bookmark and a regular hyperlink is that the bookmark is pointing to a PARTICULAR LOCATION on the web page rather than at the whole page itself. Your wish for "the receiver to be able to click the internal bookmarks without having to connect to the internet " is not possible, just as it's not possible to click on any of the other hyperlinks without connecting. In any event, if your recipient is opening the e-mail with Outlook or Outlook Express, they are already connected to the internet. Hope this explains bookmarks and links.
    John

Thanks

You should be able to create "relative" bookmarks internal to the message itself. At least, I think I've received long e-mail messages with such bookmarks. But File>Send to... is not going to work because it will convert the URLs, as you discovered.