Lounger
    Thanks

Total Page Count Problem

[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img] I am using Word 2000. When I use the "Insert Number of Pages" field in the header, I encounter a few problems. Some documents will open, and when you view the total page count on page one of the doc, you get a number other than the correct total page count. If you page down then back up, the count corrects itself. Then prints just fine.

In other situations, I get the incorrect page count, correct it by paging down then up, but when I print (a 3-page doc for example) I get the pages numbered as 1 of 1, 2 of 2, 3 of 3.

Does anyone have a clue as to why it does this and how I can correct the problem(s)? My situation is compounded by the fact that several hundred people access these documents and when there is such a problem, the phone doesn't stop ringing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Mary

Thanks

Re: Total Page Count Problem

Have a look at Q189175 at MS - it addresses at least the (well known) printing problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mary. I'm not saying YOU need to do this, but this is how I have fixed a document with the same exact problem. I deleted all page numbering. Then, copied all but the last paragraph returns to a new document. Then re-enter all of the page numbering.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote from knowage page follows: <font color=red>
    To resolve this problem, obtain Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a).

To obtain SR-1/SR-1a, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q245025 OFF2000: How to Obtain and Install Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a) </font color=red>

Goto http://www.microsoft.com/office/details/SR1.htm and order the CD, it is FREE and shipping is free also.
    DO NOT get and/or install SR@, as you may have read in Woody's newsletters.
    The CD that you should get from the noted web page should be ONY the SR-1A release.
    I have been using the release on three different machines.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave:
    I didn't quite follow something in your response. Are you saying not to use the SR-1a download, only the CD. You said something about not getting the SR@.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry about that typing error.
    Do NOT get <font color=red>SR-2</font color=red>

As for getting the CD, it is FREE and if you ever need to rebuild you will not have re down load. You can order one for each legal copy of Office that you own. With three machines, 2 desktops and 1 laptop, each has a CD within the collection of software that goes with that machine. Do not have to go looking for the CD when ever I need it.

Just MY way of doing things.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

This is a bug in Word. It was partially fixed in Word 2000 SR-1, I think, but see the following for work-arounds:
    http://www.addbalance.com/word/pagexofy.htm
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin