Thread: Error Message

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error Message

Edited by Bigaldoc to add: I took a few graphic "liberties" to eliminate the need for scrolling on this rather large image.

I get the error message pictured below. Any help is appreciated !!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Message

Having done that, are you sure that the machine is plugged in and running? The fact that it appears in the list could be a ghost. Did this perchance happen immediately after one or both machines were turned on? Sometimes it takes several minutes for the "network" to fully set itself up. If you've not changed any settings on the machine, you might try a re-boot on one or both to see if that corrects the error.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Tell us more about your network.
    Is this a NEW connection?

What firewall are you using on each machine?

What OS's on what machine?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is what I did ... I turned off both computers. First, I restarted my computer which is "wired" to the network and checked to see if it showed up on the network in Explorer (DesktopMy Network PlacesEntire NetworkMicrosoft Windows NetworkWorkgroupPROTH721) which it did. Then I rebooted the laptop with a "wireless" connection to the network and checked to see if it showed up on the network in Explorer (DesktopMy Network PlacesEntire NetworkMicrosoft Windows NetworkWorkgroupJulia's Laptop) which it did. If I click on the "+" next to "Julia's Laptop" nothing happens and if I click on "Julia's Computer" I get the same error message as before. Any further thoughts ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure what to tell you. I have a Linksys Wireless-B router with my computer "wired" to the router and my daughter's laptop (the one that gives the error messagein Explorer) is wireless. I am not sure what a NEW connection means as I hooked up the router to the DSL line, hooked up my computer, and a print server and then her laptop was able to the "see" the wireless connection immediatley. I guess this error message is just a "detail" that bugs me as everything seems to be working fine. I am not using a firewall (OK give me the lecture) unless there is one operating from the router (is that possible and how do I determine the status if so). Both computers are WinXP Pro. If you need more info please let me know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you "Shared" a drive or a folder on each machine?
    The machine can be seen but it appears there are NO shares to select.

Check BOTH machines to see if the MS Firewall is on, if on turn it off. (And get a GOOD firewall and use it)

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.