New Lounger
    Thanks

No link to LAN (Windows XP Pro SP1)

I have a Compaq Evo D510 Convertible Minitower running WXP Pro SP1 that won't link to my office LAN.
    This computer formerly worked fine but recently had a motherboard exchange because of faulty video chip (no output) and now has network problems (won't link to LAN).
    Although under Device Manager, the NIC is listed without any problems there is no sign of the ethernet 10/100 connection in Start/Settings/Network Connections and there should be (only the 1394 card is listed). There is no icon in the notification area of the taskbar to indicate a cable is plugged in and there should be because a cable is plugged in and its linked into a switch and the switch indicator light is green (the switch is new and another PC is successfully linked to the LAN through the switch).
    I can't uninstall and reinstall the NIC because the system won't allow it despite logging on as Administrator.
    I'm unsure if this is a hardware or software issue (suspect software) and hope for a fix without reinstalling windows (have a cd with sp2 but not yet used)
    Appreciate any advice
    iicae

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No link to LAN (Windows XP Pro SP1)

Start | Control Panel | Network Setup Wizard.

Windows XP configures each network connection separately, and since you changed your NIC (embedded into the motherboard) previous settings no longer apply.

New Lounger
    Thanks

kaplinb, Thank you for your interest and response.
    Regretfully this had no effect the first time I tried it (to re-establish the LAN link) and didn't work again when re-tried. The only connection listed remains the the 1394 card. As the office LAN runs Novell NOS and Windows NT 4 sp6 on the client PCs, I cannot run the Windows XP Networking setup disk and did not need to do this last time I linked the PC to the LAN.
    I have been told that a reinstallation of windows is the only way to fix this but I am hoping for a less drastic solution.
    appreciatively
    iicae

Thanks

You say you can't uninstall the NIC. Have you tried physically removing it and then looking at Device Manager after a reboot? As well, are any of the status lights working on the back of the NIC? Is it possible that during the motherboard replacement somehow the NIC was damaged (static perhaps)? Will the NIC work in any other computer? If so, it may be (hopefully not) another motherboard problem.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

John, Thank you for your interest and response.
    The NIC is embedded in the motherboard.
    Thru curiosity when I clicked on the Intel NIC icon in Control Panel this software indicated that the driver was not installed (while Device Manager simultaneously says it was). To resolve this confusion I re-installed the driver from the original cd and the NIC is now working, only 1 ethernet icon in Network Connections (but I never knew why there was 2 before, 1 something to do with a bridge function/service/device/?) . I now get the taskbar icon indicating a cable is connected so the initial stage is working fine, problem resolved.
    Just need to make them talk to each other now and haven't yet been able to ping WinXP PC from WinNT PC sharing switch (or vice versa).
    regards
    iicae