New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Email sent date/time (OE6)

I've had several instances lately where people have sent emails to me where the date/time sent was several hours or days after the date/time received by me. I assumed that this was caused by the sender's computer clock being fast, but one of the senders assures me that her clock is correct to the minute. I'm sure that I've heard some other explanation for this in the past, but I cannot now remember what it was. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Email sent date/time (OE6)

When you say "received by me," do you mean when you actually received it, or the time Outlook Express says it was received? They often are different!

The received time displayed in your Inbox is calculated using information provided by your mail server (it is not the time you downloaded it), usually a UTC time plus an time zone offset reported by the mail server.

The sent time displayed in a message's header is calculated using information provided by the sender, usually a UTC time plus a time zone offset supplied by the sender's computer.

One hour one way or the other is common this time of year, but days?? Either someone's time zone is set incorrectly, or the message might be getting corrupted somehow on its way to your Inbox. If you can unearth a pattern, that would help the diagnosis.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The same thing is happening to me. I am using Comcast Hi-Speed and all of my E-mail message times are off by --I think-- three hours. I have tried looking everywhere on how to reset the clock on these and there is nothing I can find. My computer's clock is correct and my time sent on messages by my computer is correct. This has caused a couple of problems since this is a computer used to run my business. Is Comcast the responsible party that can reset the time on these--or is there a way I can do it?

Thanks

Can you copy out the date/time part of the headers for some of the problem messages? I believe in OE you use File>Properties to access the headers. In Outlook, the relevant lines look simlar to this:

From London to California:

Received: from other.mail.server (1.2.3.4) by my.mail.server (serverinfo); 12 Nov 2004 12:31:04 -0800
    Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:29:13 -0000

From East Coast of USA to California:

Received: from other.mail.server (1.2.3.4) by my.mail.server (serverinfo) for username@domain.com; 8 Nov 2004 21:04:06 -0800
    Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 00:02:15 -0500

My Clock's GMT offset (Time Zone): -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)