Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ASCII Codes (2003)

I don't think HL7 messages are meant to be viewed in Word; they need to be parsed by a HL7 parser.

You can search for paragraph marks by typing ^p in the 'Find What' box; you can copy and paste other "codes" from the document into the Find and Replace dialog.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ASCII Codes (2003)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 02-Nov-04 09:36. Attachment removed.)</P>I'm trying to use Word to format an HL7 message. There are, however, certain codes I cannot search and replace and I do not know what they are. What I am trying to do is get the attached sample.doc with no line breaks or spaces, but I do not know what to search or replace or how to import this so the line breaks contained in it do not come in.

Any help you can give is, as always, GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

First, out of an excess of paranoia, I removed that attachment because it appeared to contain confidential information. For those interested, here is a general idea of the data structure (first 25%):
    <hr><pre>MSH|^~&|NAMEOFPERSON|INSTITUTION|TEXT||DA TETIME||ORM^O01|DATETIME|P|2.3||||
    EVN|O01|DATETIME|
    PID|1||50086^^^^^1||LASTNAME^FIRSTNAME^^^|^^^^|DOB |M|^^^^| (line break for posting)
    W|STREETADDRESS^^P^^091|091||||M|C|9000616^^^^^1|| |||||||</pre>

<hr>
    Second, if you have the documentation for this format, you have many options for parsing it. As it is unformatted text, you can use the built-in VBA string-handling functions. For example, the Split() function can create an array of individual data fields if told the "delimiter" that separates them (in this case, it appears to be the | character). The array elements numbered 0 to whatever then match the data fields in the definition of the format.

Does that help or, as suggested above, would it be easier to use dedicated software?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If this is a large document, or there are many of them, I'd strongly suggest exploring the VBScript RegExp object. While VBA's string functions aren't bad, they're no match for real regular expressions, which would probably be the best tool for the job at hand.

In fact, if I were facing this task, and new I wanted Word files as the end result, I'd consider a Perl script to parse it and try to format it with HTML tags, which Word can then easily import. Can you be more specific about the kind of formatting you're trying apply to this text?