Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Automatically updating front-end forms (2000)

In my office we have a back-end mdb on the server and several identical front-end mdb's installed on the desktop pc's hard disks.
    Whenever a user inputs some data in a form on the front-end on one pc, the same form on the other pc's doesn't display the new data right away. The user has to press the F9 button on the keyboard to refresh the form. Is there any way to automatically display changes throughout the front-ends?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatically updating front-end forms (2000)

Although you could use the On Timer event of a form to refresh the data with a certain frequency, I don't think it would be a good idea. It could cause havoc if the user is entering or modifying data. You can put a command button that executes Me.Refresh on the form, and you can also put Me.Refresh in (for example) the On Current event of the form.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You might want to clarify the situation a little. When you say a user enters data on a form on 1 PC an the others don't see the data right away, is this a new record? If an existing record, does everyone have the same record displayed on their screen at the same time? Or perhaps is this just a combobox used to select records to be displayed?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,
    Please take a look at the startup form in the attached mdb(the real one obviously is split). If a user on one pc types, say, 1000 in the [45] columns for the eighth hour on November 4, then I'd like another user on a different pc with the same front-end to immediately see 1000 display on his form as well instead of having to press F9.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When I open two instances of the database, modify a value in one of them, and save the record (for example by moving to another record), the value is updated in the other instance as soon as I move the focus to another field. That seems good enough.

PS Why do you have references to Excel 11 (=2003) and Graph 2003 in the database?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

There is not really a need for me to look at your database. For the 2nd user to see the results of what the 1st user does is dependent on 2 factors.

The first (and most important) factor is that the 1st user must actually save the record being worked on. If it is a bound form, Access will automatically save it whenever you move off the current record (either to another record, or even a subform on the mainform). The 2nd user can't see anything the 1st user does until then.

The 2nd factor is the refresh rates. On each PC, while in Access select Tools | OPtions from the menu bar. On the "Advanced" tab, you will see a Refresh Interval. It probably is set for 60 seconds; adjust it downword to make each PC refresh more often. However, you may not want to adjust it too far downward, as it could negatively impact your performance.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans, that happens to me as well.
    I think the references to Excel and Graph 2003 are there because I'm working in Access 2003 using a 2000 file format.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Mark, interesting tip the one about the Refresh Interval.