Star Lounger
    Thanks

external hard drive

I have been backing up my "Money", "Quicken", and "My Documents" on a ZIP drive. Money and Quicken are OK but I am having a dickens of a time getting My Docs backed up. I have pretty much decided to just get a new external hard drive and be done with it. I would probably go with a 60-80 gig unit. Any suggestions? Also, what is a fire wire and can I use it on my Dell 2400? I'd like to stay in the $80-$120 range, if possible.

Thanks

Re: external hard drive

Here is a definition of FireWire. The Dell 2400 does not come with FireWire but you can buy add on FireWire adapters in the US $40 - $80 range. If you are looking for an External USB drive, there are many excellent drives on the market but most of them seem a bit pricier than your $80-$120 range.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Rebel - external hard drives are out of your budget range. A CD burner or DVD burner is not however. You might want to consider that. They are not as user friendly as the newer external hard drives (some of which have 1-button or scheduled backup features) but burning to disk can be very convenient - especially if you are being smarter than most and store those backups "off-site" such as a bank safe deposit box. They would be no more difficult than burning to Zip - and one disk holds a lot more than a Zip disk so that might make it easier.

Not to mention, Zip disks are ancient technology!?!

Note too as far as your "My Documents", you might try to compress the whole My Documents folder with WinZip or the like and see if that will fit on a Zip disk.

BillB
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know about that. It might depend on where and how hard you look. If you take a look at Price Grabber and put in 60 gig, USB and external (in the filters), you'll get a list that might include one or two acceptable. (I did the list but can't get the long link to work in this post.)